I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

insription on rod problem
Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.dhcp-dynamic.FibreOp.ns.bellaliant.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 10:06AM

Good morning,

I am in the process of putting an inscription on a fly rod, I am using a dip pen and Testors silver metallic paint. I haven't had any problems writing on the rod that part turns out fine, but the other day I sprayed some clear acrylic over the inscription to seal it prior to putting some rod finish on and the acrylic made the inscription run. I let the Testors paint dry for roughly 16-18 hours then gave it the spray of clear Krylon and there it was gone. My questions are: Should I have let the inscription dry longer? Is there anything else I can use as a sealer prior to putting the rod finish on? maybe colour preserver?
Any tips or advice on this would be great.

Thanks

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: insription on rod problem
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 10:41AM

I think the time you let it dry should be sufficient, and suspect the spray you used attacked the Testors. But, in my experience, there are so many things that don't work and so many that do, but some with CP only and some with Testors only and some with india ink only etc etc etc, that I only trust what I have tried with an inscription on a pencil first. Then I write what I used down. It's very confusing.

My favorite writing fluid is Bombay India Ink, which comes in a myriad of colors, even opaque white. The opaque white, in my testing with Flex Coat CP alone and Flex Coat wrap finish alone does not run. Other colors? Haven't tested them yet. Two advantages for india ink is that it has low viscosity which means it flows in pens well and you can also get a nice, fine, inscription instead of a fat, clubbly looking one (with the right tip).

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 10:42AM

Jeff,

I did a Krylon test spray on a gold leaf inscription I was going to apply to a blank. The Krylon Crystal Clear spray made the gold leaf inscription diffuse and get kind of blurry. I then did a second test and applied CP over the inscription and let it dry an hour, or so, then applied the Krylon spray and the gold leaf inscription was fine.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 11, 2015 11:32AM

Jeff I had problems with some inks and testors. When I added CP, they ran. I bought a can of Krylon's Workable Fixatif. I tried it out on all of my inks ant it worked very well. I then covered the inscription with CP and then finish.

Good practice is to always test before applying to your rod.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 01:25PM

If the testors was the enamil the spray would eat into it
When i am not sure I put several DUST COATS on and dry each with a hair dryer Then maybe a wet coat
The coat you put on may have been too wet

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.dhcp-dynamic.FibreOp.ns.bellaliant.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 03:13PM

thanks for the replies !

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 07:18PM

Jeff,
I use testors quite a bit.

I don't put any CP over it, and I don't put any other material over the lettering before I apply finish.

The main thing that I found out, is that I never put a brush where there is any lettering. I also do not put the finish on very thick, which would tend to flow and move the lettering with it.

After doing those two things, I have had no issues with rod lettering.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster