I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One Coat Finish Procedure?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 10:10PM

Anyone have a good one coat routine they'd like to share? I can't seem to get a one-coat finish I like. Always seem to have a few threads that break the finish surface.

Thanks!

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One Coat Finish Procedure?
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 10:20PM

In my opinion there's no best one coat finish. I always put a thin coat then let dry. Cut off any rogue threads or fuzzies then apply a second coat. I always get a nice, smooth and level finish that way.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2015 08:07AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 09:03AM

I do as Swampland does
You can Depending on how fast or slow your turner is Faster will hold more Slower less most use high build and put too much on

So do as the artical says Stop the turner take off the drips Do several 180 hand turns Then turn the turner on babysite for a while and check

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2015 09:29AM

The article does not advocate allowing sagging and then removing excess or drips. That's a rumor that started when some viewed the photos but didn't bother to read the text. The idea is to not put on so much that you will have any excess to remove. Once you have sags and "drips" you're in trouble mode and then have to expend additional effort to hopefully correct things.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 01:39PM

I know Tom
But most who start out usually put too much finish on and until they learn what else can they do
That is why I always suggest a light finish With slow turners that high build will not stay on a slow turner
I was turning on a 70 rpm Then tried a 16 rpm Too slow did not like the time to put finish on I reset to 36 rpm Have not tried it yet -- Maybe I will go back to 70 ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 07:36PM

Marc,
I normally use 1+ coat of finish when coating guides.

I use my power wrapper to apply finish. Depending on what I am doing as I apply finish I will be turning the rod at speeds varying from 0 to about 60-200 rpm.

I start at the rod butt, quickly get enough finish on all of the wraps to get the bulk of the thread filled. At this time, I do not worry about too little, too much, sags or thin finish. I am working just to ge tthe bulk of the thread wetted down with the finish in its thinnest state.

Then, I go back over the rod, starting at the butt, using a bit of heat to let the finish flow out as neede to quickly touch up any thin spots, or brush down any thick spots.

Then, I will let the rod sit for a few minutes and will then go back over the rod very carefully, checking for any flaws in the finish. If necessary, will touch up any thin spots. Since the finish has not thickened a bit, it is easy to clean up those spots.

I do a final once over and assuming that all is well, then transfer to my drum dryer for overnight drying. In my case, once the rod is on the drum dryer, I can't do any more touch ups, so just let it dry.

I will carefully check the rod the next morning and about 95% of the time the rod is finished. For the few rods necessary, I will apply an additional coat for any guides where I find a problem.

As others have posted many times before, I think that applying finish quickly on a fast turning rod generally gives a quick excellent finish.

Be safe

Date: March 11, 2015 07:41PM

Take a look at the way that finish is applied at the St. Croix rod factory: Time 3:41.

[www.youtube.com]

Also, note the speed of the drum dryer that St.l Croix uses on their rods for the final drying.

Be safe

Date: March 11, 2015 07:47PM

Here is a factory tour of the G Loomis factory:
Note that at time 6:50 - the application of finish:

[www.youtube.com]

Also, note the use of the torch that is used to torch off any thread nubs or fuzzies. Also, near the end, note the speed of finish application and also the speed of the drum dryer.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster