I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flame or Heat Gun for Bubble Busting
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 08:19PM

Which do you prefer for bubble busting in finish, and why?

Also - if it's a heat gun can you recommend one in particular?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flame or Heat Gun for Bubble Busting
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2015 08:45PM

Cigarette lighter. Hold flame to side as you rotate wrap, about 3 seconds per wrap. A gentle warming is all you need.

If you employ a mechanical mixer and apply finish in the steps I've outlined here many times, you don't even need any heat as you won't have any bubbles to start with.

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 10, 2015 09:06PM

None. Just your own breath, for about 30-40 sec per guide. Not fastest, but works. Absolutely no chance to ruin your wraps. I had bad experience with both heat gun and flame.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 10:23PM

I use a heat gun, but its a mini one.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2015 04:41AM

After blowing thru a straw to get rid of bubbles when on the foil plate, I now do the same for the wraps with less fear of a mistake.

Posted by: Scott Gamble (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: March 11, 2015 07:19AM

I am using the flame atm, seems to work better on the high build for me, the alcohol torch type, tried the gas torch but was worried about the amount of 'hot' heat it applied instantly, thinking of going down to two coats of light build soon and hopefully wont need any bubble busting device..tho bubbles seem very temperature dependant for me, colder more, warmer less.

SG Custom Rods
Australia

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 08:02AM

Have been using the Mike Quinn method for decades, had very few issues with this easy method. Just keep a supply of straws on hand.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 12:16PM

I use an industrial heat gun. A light pass over the finish takes care of any issues.

The key is to keep the gun moving and never let it dwell on any spot.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 11, 2015 01:11PM

Here's my take on it for what it's worth:

Blowing with your breath risks spit in your finish, heck we're human right?

Heat gun can pick up air born dust and deposit it in your finish. Is it going to happen often? No. Will it happen ever? Yes.

Alcohol flame? A disaster waiting to happen. The potential danger from an alcohol spill just doesn't warrant their use.

Lighter. Cheap, convenient, but somewhat inconsistent heat application risks cooking the finish until you gain skill over time.

Propane/butane torch? Very easy to use, especially a propane handheld tip on a hose or a small butane torch. Very fast. Risk cooking finish. If you treat the finished area like it's your finger and just swipe the flame quickly over it (where you would not burn yourself) it works great. I just switched from propane to butane.

Radiant heat source? Never tried one, but probably good results, but slower and a lot safer than an open flame. If I didn't just invest in a good butane torch recently, I might have given this a try.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 02:15PM

Then Why use heat I like a light finish - Stays wet longer - releases bubbles quicker and easier. Flows nicer Yes more time to put on two coats But for the look when the secound coat goes on is worth it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 04:16PM

I'm with Mike Quinn on this one. Works perfectly!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 05:10PM

The straw works well I do use it -- Just don't spit on the finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 07:09PM

I use a 60w incandescent light bulb placed about 4 - 6" over the wrap for 10 or 20 revolutions.......gentle heat !!!
Rog

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 07:52PM

These butane torches work well, as long as the user uses common sense.

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Daniel Merrill (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 07:45AM

I use an electronically controlled Industrial heat gun (just happened to have one...). It has variable heat & blower settings. Blower adjusts down to a whisper and the heat dials down enough to not burn your hands. It busts bubbles beautifully, quickly and consistently. Gentle heat.

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: March 12, 2015 01:13PM

I use a double flame wind proof butane lighter. A quick couple of passes while turning does the trick... The lighter is also an awesome tool to heat up guide foots for gluing. 1 second over the flame and its hot enough to melt the glue...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster