I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Embroidery thread
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.22.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 09, 2015 09:10PM

I've heard that it's possible to use embrodiery thread to wrap rods. Is this a good idea? And, if so, are there any special conditions that accompany it's use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Embroidery thread
Posted by: Chris Gappmayer (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: March 09, 2015 10:49PM

It depends on the thread. Embroidery thread can be made of a number of materials, some of which work well and some don't. I use trilobal polyester embroidery thread all the time. It is typically not coated in silicone, which will cause problems with your finish, can be purchased locally so you can see the actual color before buying and, with a coupon, is cheap. It also comes in a huge array of colors. On the other hand, cotton or rayon embroidery threads are not a good choice for rod wrapping.

On the silicone coating, with any given brand you'll need to verify with the maker if the thread you're looking at has it or not. If it does, seal the thread with multiple coats of cp or a urethane like permagloss before adding finish.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 09, 2015 11:04PM

I use embroidery threat all the time & have done for a number of years .What Chris said about Silicone is correct but I don't use anything like Permagloss or a Urethane .All I use is ChromaSeal to seal the wrap & have had no problems what so ever .There is a method that some use & that is "put some thread into the mix" the theory being that it will balance out the surface tension between the thread & the epoxy .I'm sure that you will receive more replies with some agreeing & some disagreeing .All I can say is that it works for me .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 10, 2015 02:13AM

Chris, I also use polyester embroidery thread. I found that if you don't use CP before coating with Perma Gloss or Lumiseal, the thread will turn dark just as it does with an epoxy finish.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Chris Gappmayer (---.sub-70-208-5.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2015 08:48AM

Mike,

The thread will definitely darken when covered with perma gloss but it will not fisheye on thread that has been coated with silicone. If you want to maintain thread color the definitely use CP. they both serve the purpose of sealing the thread so you will not have bad reactions with the epoxy finish. This only matters if the thread is coated. I use two different brands of poly embroidery thread and neither is coated so I finish just like "rod wrapping thread" with great results.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (209.181.22.---)
Date: March 10, 2015 10:17PM

Chris

Can you share with us the two brands that you use? If you can't can you email me?

Thanks

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 11, 2015 01:24PM

Edited,

Sorry, I didn't realize you were asking about uncoated thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 04:36PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 03:07PM

Chris, I would also like the names of the ones that you use. Madeira is coated.
Thanks.

Posted by: Chris Gappmayer (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: March 11, 2015 11:33PM

I'm happy to share. Tom, if you'd rather I email the brand names, delete this and I'll do so. I use both Coats and Clark Trilobal Polyester embroidery thread and a couple different threads from a company called Superior Threads. The Coats and Clark is nice because I can find it at my local fabric store in a hundred colors or more. I've never verified with them that it is not coated but I have wrapped and finished 8 or 10 different colors in two different brands of epoxy and never had a problem with fisheyes or other issues. The colors do darken if you don't use color preserver but not as much as Nylon, in my experience. Superior Threads is harder to find locally but you can order directly from them. They have a number of lines of trilobal polyester thread including some really cool variegated thread and twist thread in a number of color combos, earth tones and very bright neons. I contacted them and they did confirm that none of their trilobal polyester is coated. I've finished only a couple of rods with their stuff but they have turned out great with no CP or other sealant under the finish. It is a little more expensive because I can't use the fabric store coupon but worth it if you're looking for certain colors and comparable in price to the large spools of rod wrapping nylon.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 12, 2015 02:32PM

Chris,

None of the Superior polyester threads are lubrication free (as per the mfg). Apparently, you just aren't experiencing any finish problems with them.

As per the mfg, the lubrication is applied so it can pass through their thread management machinery and be spooled at high production speeds. This is standard industry practice and he's not aware of "any manufacturer who might spool without lubrication at slow speeds. He said the cost to mfg unlubricated thread at much slower production speeds would double to triple the end user's price.

I suspect it's the same with the Coats and Clark Trilobal, but I have not confirmed it with them.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 10:59AM

The Coats and Clark Trilobal polyester works well as with Mettler polyester

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 10:59AM

The Coats and Clark Trilobal polyester works well as with Mettler polyester

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster