I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wet Epoxy pulling away from blank
Posted by: Tim Waddell (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 09:45AM

I have a couple of questions. When doing a small open cross wrap, do you put cp on just the thread or around the whole blank? I went around the whole blank and the epoxy is pulling away from itself in some spots. Is this what you guys call fish eyes? I was able to fix most of it. Might try another coat of epoxy tomorrow. Using cromaseal and prokote medium build.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wet Epoxy pulling away from blank
Date: February 26, 2015 10:00AM

Actually it's lookin a little worse now. Definitely not leveling out. Thought I might have applied too much so I took some off with my brush but it's still pulling away.

Date: February 26, 2015 10:09AM

Gonna do some practice stuff on an old rod. I have thread master also and some prokote high build on order that I was gonna try for tiger wrap base layers. Probably should have started by doing this but it's hard to resist jumping right in.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2015 10:27AM

Tim,
this isn't an epoxy problem. You have contamination on the surface where you applied it.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2015 10:29AM

If the first coat is repelling the second, then you either have something bad on the surface as Todd said, or the first coat has cured to the point where you no longer have an acceptable surface upon which to apply the second. Smooth, shiny surfaces can tend to repel finish.

Date: February 26, 2015 10:40AM

Applied cp yesterday and let dry overnight. Applied epoxy this morning. Room temp 70f. The only place that's having the issue is where the blank is exposed(also has the cp applied to it). The solid wraps that hold cross in place are doing fine. Also applied a first coat of epoxy to the butt wrap(tiger) cp applied to it day before yesterday. No problems there. Contamination is a good possibility as the room needs a good dusting. I cleaned the wrap area of the blank with denatured alcohol before applying the wrap and cp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 10:49AM by Tim Waddell.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 04:37PM

Tim, despite it sounding like a good idea, and scores of guys doing it for years, cleaning with DNA/solvent immediately prior to applying epoxy is a bad step. Perhaps a good tech./lab grade would be fine but the average stuff these days has a lot of impurities. I'll admit to using acetone many years ago when working with teak (so I'm guilty too). For rods I find it hard to beat good old soap and hot water. I just take the blank in the shower before wrapping.

Second, you mention dusting. Stay far away from most furniture polish!!!!!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 05:21PM

If you can hit the spots with a gray scoff pad ( no wash ) wipe off with a papertowel dry even a soft brush carfull of the thread
Put on another coat of finish If you see it pulling away try adding more baby sit it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 05:43PM

X10 on Bill's comments on the use of the gray scuff pad. It works.

Rather than using alcohol to clean off the thread before applying finish, I use the low tack blue masking tape to tack off any dust.

I do make a point of doing a very good job of cleaning a rod blank before starting a build. I prefer to use Simple Green cleaner for this task. It does an excellent job of degreasing and for other cleaning chores.

As others have said, you likely had some sort of oil on the blank that is causing your issue.

Be safe

Date: February 26, 2015 06:06PM

When I started to build rods I used to get crazy Wash this make sure this is set just so -- Reading this board
Things went so - so Then I started to say What the Hay I am lucky if I wash a blank now I wipe them off with a paper towel Good to go
Played with finish O Gee clean this watch this
heck then it was The heck with it --- And things came out a lot better when I did not worry about every little thing
Just started to go with a heavy finish -- Not good - You will only cover so much and you will - Or shoud put another thin coat on to cover Bo Bos
So back to what I have done Two thin coats Thinning a high build finish It went well before and will again

The whole idea is the more you worry about building - the more that will go wrong ----- to a point

You do have to try things to fit - Think of what you want to do --- But make sure it all fits before you - Glue it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 26, 2015 08:30PM

My hands did touch that section while wrapping/packing that section(cooked hotdogs during the end of the wrap). Taking all of this into account for the next builds. Hopefully it'll help other people who are just beginning. I'll hit it lightly with my gray pad tomorrow before recoating. Don't clean that with denatured alcohol?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 11:53PM

Don't clean with DNA or other solvents and wash your hands very well before ever handling the blank. Even the natural oil from your skin can cause "fish eyes."

Date: February 27, 2015 10:15AM

The second coat went on much better.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 11:57AM

Also, wash your hands frequently when wrapping a blank. A persons hand is constantly touching the thread when a guide is wrapped. If there is skin oil on the skin, it will get transferred to the thread and cause potential issues.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 05:47PM

Nest time I would put CP on the whole area, if the CP doesn't adhere to the bare blank, then you have a contamination problem.

Date: February 27, 2015 09:24PM

You may IMHO need two more coats

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 01, 2015 12:59AM

Put another coat while doing my tiger underwrap. It's full of dust and bubbles so I'm done with it. Gotta start somewhere. I'll post pics after I'm done with the tiger if it actually turns out ok. Should be moving my glass blowing shop here soon then I'll have a more dust/rabbit hair free shop to build in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster