I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need guide size advice
Posted by: Tim Waddell (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 19, 2015 12:59AM

Ordered a guide set for my first build, 7' 8-12# spinning. The guides are pretty big. 30,20,16,10,8,7,6
I'm throwing a cI4+ 3000 for speckled trout, flounder, reds. Any suggestions on smaller/better guides? I got Fuji with Alconite rings right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need guide size advice
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2015 06:07AM

Tim,
Try the MicroWave Guides. Thats whats on my favorite 7' Redfish Rod. Had a little trouble with wind knots using PowerPro SuperSlik, changed to 10lb regular power pro and it cast great. I just finished a 8' 963 Liberty Blank and used Alconite Fuji K rapid choke Guides starting with a 25 , 12, 8. Haven't fished it yet, not sure if its my new favorite or not. I fish strictly with braid and alconite is just fine for guides on inshore rods, at least on my sticks.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.251.---)
Date: February 19, 2015 06:51AM

You don't need a 30 first guide, and you don't need all those sizes. Go to Angler's Resource link on the left and check out their recommendations. Even if you use Microwaves, you should understand the evolution of guide sizing and heights for future builds where you may not want Microwave.

Unless I were going to use something like 10-15 # flouro, I would start with a 20, maybe one or two more reduction guides like a 12 and a 10, selected mostly based on height, then use 5.5's or 6's to the tip. If I were to build for braid up to about 15#, just about anything reasonable will work. Set it up and test cast.

Check out Angler's Resource.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 19, 2015 07:09AM

Pac Bay Minimas!!!!! Size 20 match guide XM4XG20, size 12 sv guide XSV4XG12, size 8 sv guide XSV4XG08, size 6 fly runners XF4XG06. Call Karen at Bingham, she can get you set up.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2015 09:56AM

Tim,

I would save the guide set for another rod / time. Use either the ATC MicroWave Guide set and follow the setup instructions that come with the MicroWave Guides. Or Fuji K-Series High Frame small ring Quick Choke guide setup, (braided line 20 lb lb., Mono or Fluoro 10 to 12 lb.), as follows:

Stripper: KL20H, Transition guide: KL10H, Choker: KL6L. Set Stripper at 20" from reel face, Choker 20" below. Position the reduction guide to bull’s-eye between the choke and stripper guides. After that you may want to push the choke out to where the BOTTOM of the choke guide ring lines up with the TOP edge of the last reduction guide ring. This is where I always start with this set up and then tweak from there. Sometimes I don’t need to move anything. Test cast and see what you think.

The above recommendations were provide to me by email from Jim Ising of Anglers Resource. I emailed Jim and asked for his recommendation in setting up the Fuji K-Series High Frame Guides with a quick choke when using braided line. it works like a dream with Fluoro line as well.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.251.---)
Date: February 19, 2015 10:43AM

Keep in mind that Microwaves and Fuji KL's are tall, it's part of their advantage in casting, so if you use rod tubes, be aware of the height.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2015 05:18PM

Tim,
If you have that guide set in hand, then by all means use it.

It will work very well and you will have a great fishing rod. Of course you can use a different set, but absolutely nothing wrong with the set that you have.

Good luck

Posted by: Tim Waddell (---.available.eatel.net)
Date: February 19, 2015 07:00PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to use the set on my first build. Just wanted some input for the next ones. Thanks everyone.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2015 07:21PM

Tim

if you can send those guides back - Or use them on another build
But Check this out
[www.rodbuilding.org]
You will be using what is called The Cone Of Flight This is the way rods were built 40 years ago PLUS
The tip will be heavy because of the larger guides that are not needed The blank will Have To Carry That Weight makes the rod UNDERPERFORM Cast slower because of the extra weight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 20, 2015 01:32PM

Tim,
Here is some good R&D done on spinning rod guides. I think you can get something out of this.
[2coolfishing.com]

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: February 20, 2015 03:01PM

With all due respect , Cone of Flight is still being used on many rods,both custom and factory. As Roger says, you will make a good rod with those guides. You could do better, but it just depends on what you want to do with those guides.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2015 12:26PM

Tim,
Remember, in recent years, there have been a lot of different rods being built with micro guides or very small guides that are very short and are being used to build mainly Bass rods. They seem to be very popular with the Bass catching crowd.

But, in the same vein, there are lots of folks who have no interest in the use of micro guides on any rods that they own, for a myriad of reasons.

Just because something is new, does not make it necessarily better. It just makes it different.

Again, just because a guide is lighter, does not automatically make it better to use on every rod that is being built.

As Mr. Kirkman has said, so many times in the past, " Build a rod to meet the needs that the rod will be used for."

If the rod is built to meet those specific rods, it is the perfect custom rod for the task at hand.

I was watching the "Tuna fishing show" on the National Geographic channel the other day. On this show, the folks go out into the Ocean and commonly catch Blue Fin Tuna that weigh anywhere from 200 to 1200 lbs.
The weight of the bare blank are in the multi lb range. The reels that are 8-10 inches in diameter are in the multi lb range as well. The all roller guides also weigh multi lbs for the total guide train on the rod. Under most circumstances, the rods are not taken out of the rod holders, but are fished with the rod holder holding the rod for the entire time. The line that is used is very large diameter mono line that is in the 150-300 lb range.

But, these multi lb rods and reels with very heavy line are commonly used to land very large Blue Fin Tuna that may weigh upwards of 1000 lbs and are commonly fought for an hour or more, before landing. But then the reward is great in that each fish can be worth up to $15,000 on the Japanese Tuna Market where it is shipped just as soon as the fish is brought to shore.

So, for example, in this extreme case, the typical line that is used on these rods would not even fit through a micro guide much less hold up for even a minute on a large fish.

So, build the rod for the given application.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster