I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Expo Weather
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2015 11:36AM

Most of the U.S. will experience cold but clear and sunny skies on Thursday and Friday, the travel days for most Expo attendees. Locally we are expecting some light rain perhaps by late Saturday and on into Sunday, but temperatures are predicted to be in the 40's and even 50's by then. Looks like overall good weather, again, for the Expo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expo Weather
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2015 07:50PM

You might think about getting off the East coast.
This time of year, it's dry and 75 or 80 in Phoenix...Just saying.

Date: February 17, 2015 08:16PM

70% of the people in the U.S., and thus 70% of the rod builders, live east of the Mississippi River. This makes it within a single day's drive of the vast majority of rod builders. Unless you understand the demographics involved, you can't make it work. A good many have failed for this very reason.

The Expo hasn't been this terribly successful by accident - I know what I'm doing.... Just saying.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2015 09:23PM

There is another outfit that has it's big show in January or February called the NFL.
They seem to understand marketing and demographics too.

Fifteen different regions have hosted Super Bowls.
Here;s the list...

Miami Area 10 1968, 1969, 1971, 1976, 1979, 1989, 1995, 1999, 2007, 2010
New Orleans 10 1970, 1972, 1975, 1978, 1981, 1986, 1990, 1997, 2002, 2013
Los Angeles Metropolitan Area 7 1967, 1973, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1993
Tampa 4 1984, 1991, 2001, 2009
San Diego 3 1988, 1998, 2003
Phoenix Area 3 1996, 2008, 2015
Houston 3 1974, 2004, 2017
Metro Detroit 2 1982, 2006
Atlanta 2 1994, 2000
San Francisco Bay Area 2 1985, 2016
Minneapolis 2 1992, 2018
Jacksonville 1 2005
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex 1 2011
Indianapolis 1 2012
New York metropolitan area 1 2014
I count five games north of Salem and 45 south and west...Just saying

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2015 10:08PM

what is the NFL ?

Date: February 17, 2015 10:13PM

The NFL hardly translates to custom rod building and our low density demographics - every rod building event other than the ICRBE that has had grandiose designs to mimic this event has failed to draw enough exhibitors/attendees to last more than a year or two. No one has even come close to hosting an event that is even 10% as large as the ICRBE. But if you think you understand custom rod building demographics better than I do, give it shot. Put your money where your mouth is and let's see what happens. Everybody else that pretended to know how to do this has fallen flat on their face, and hard. But I'm sure you can do better.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: February 17, 2015 10:20PM

I wish every rod building event could be hugely successful but few are. Tom seems to have the magic or the knowledge to make it work. The shows in California didn't pan out and you would think those would have worked. The ones up in the Pacific NW didn't make it. The ones in Texas, no comment. No offense to the small seminar events held all over, they seem to be okay where a couple or three dozen attendees are all that's expected, but for a really BIG rod building event Tom has done what no one else ever has and many have tried. If it was easy then all these other events would have succeeded but they didn't. I guess Tom has just been LUCKY these past twelve or whatever years.

Date: February 17, 2015 10:33PM

If you understand rod building demographics then you'd know why any such event in California, if you intend it to be a large show in terms of rod building standards, is doomed to fail. Same for any rod building event west of the Mississippi. All impossible for reasons that should be apparent.

Compared to many sportsmans' or general fishing shows, the ICRBE isn't terribly large, but from a rod building standpoint it's huge. And the location, from about Richmond down to about Atlanta, is one of the important keys.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.58.---)
Date: February 17, 2015 10:47PM

My guess is that a small percentage of rod builders will travel from the ends of the earth to attend no matter where it's held. But most have a limited travel range due to time and or cost so a location on the east cost in the mid Atlantic area is best if you want the largest possible turnout which is the only way you can get so many exhibitors and therefore resulting rod builders involved.

Posted by: Scott A Randall (67.213.44.---)
Date: February 17, 2015 10:50PM

I am in statesville nc now about 45 min from Winston Salem we got snow then freezing rain last night The coldest day this week is suppose to be Thursday. I came down early to build an addition for family and brought the snow sorry lol

Date: February 17, 2015 10:52PM

Ken Finch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My guess is that a small percentage of rod
> builders will travel from the ends of the earth to
> attend no matter where it's held. But most have a
> limited travel range due to time and or cost so a
> location on the east cost in the mid Atlantic area
> is best if you want the largest possible turnout
> which is the only way you can get so many
> exhibitors and therefore resulting rod builders
> involved.

Ding, ding, ding!

You just bested 100% of the other people who have tried to duplicate the ICRBE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster