I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Intro and question
Posted by: John Tallyn (73.164.149.---)
Date: February 16, 2015 10:30AM

Just a hello and an introduction, new to this forum and rod building in general. I'm retired US Army, spent most of my life in the mlitary and fishng when I could. I'm interested in learning how to, and making my own rods. I've done a search, found some answers, but I'm still going to ask some questions. I'm in the process of putting together some basic tools, and the big one being the wrapping base, primarily the "tensioning device". I've seen some very basic ones, ie: using a book, all the way up to some pretty ingenious designs. So, some questons, and yes I know some of this is just a personel preference.

1. thread tensioning using a bobbin or sewing machine device, does this cause damage to the thread?
2. Using a fly tying bobbin. I don't see this often in pics, but it seems like it would be an easy solution, thoughts on this form those with experiance.
3. I've seen some that look like they make use of a spring steel rod, is this actully made of spring steel, if so where do you get these.

Any thoughts on ways that look good, but have proven not to work?

Thanks for any ideas and help, I'm sue I will have other questions, but right now I'm enjoying looking at the pics of some beautiful work.
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Intro and question
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: February 16, 2015 10:57AM

quick answers

1/ setting the tension - no matter what method you use can damage threads especially metallic threads. I've used a sewing machine type tensioner for a very long time on a power wrapper and as long as I keep the tension right I have no problems. If it gets too tight it will (does) cause problems. Too loose and the wraps get "sloppy & saggy". Too tight and the thread is over stretched, metallic coatings are worn off, NCP thread looses some chalk etc.

2/ I use a fly tying bobbin if the tip of the rod extends beyond the lenght of the wrapper. It works but it makes you wish you had a third hand when doing tie-offs. One for the bobbin to maintain tension, one finger on the wraps and a third to turn the rod (if not under power).

I've tried a hundred things that didn't work... Hardly know where to start LOL

You can make a simple hand wrapper pretty darned cheap I'm sure there are lots of photos on the photo page that will get you started on the right foot. If you go to 'SEARCH" at the top of this page and enter "hand wrapper" with search parameters for the last year you will find answers to 80% or more of your questions

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 11:01AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2015 12:39PM

I much prefer the spring steel (actually wire) tensioner as it does not damage the thread, even metallic. I found my wire at a large hardware store.....not a bix box store.

Unhide your email and I'll send you a photo of the wrapper I have made the encompasses the things I've learned over many years of building rods.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: February 16, 2015 12:57PM

My tensioner applies pressure to the spool, not the thread. I use a spring with a tiptop secured to it to provide a constant (nearly) tension on the thread when backing up.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The end of a rod blank would work as well.

For the Fly tying bobbin, hang some weights (couple ounces) from the frame of the bobbin to supply the third hand. I haven't tried this, so it may not work.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: February 16, 2015 12:58PM

The sowing machine bobbin will work just fine. An investment in a hand wrapper purchased or home made will save you a lot of time and frustration . As far as thread tension you should be able to move the guide after it is wrapped, too tight can damage the blank. you will also need a rod drier I made my first one out of a rotisserie motor. I also made my first rod using books for thread tension. and rotating the rfod by hand.
I hope this helps

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2015 01:48PM

In my opinion, the current best buy is the Mud Hole hand wrapper and dryer with or without the new base. It's a system that can grow with you.
The overhead tension arm is a useful feature. Especially when you have to back up a few turns. However, this tensioner is secondary to the actual thread tension, which is regulated by spring pressure on the spool. Having the pressure on the spool helps to protect metallic thread from damage.

Posted by: John Tallyn (73.164.149.---)
Date: February 16, 2015 05:44PM

Thanks for the info and advice, I did unhide my email address. I'm looking to build a hand wrapper, so I've been looking thru the pictures that are availible, that's where my questions are coming from. One of the biggest question is about the overhead tension device and how that works, will probably use something along the lines of a tensioning spring on the spool, maybe add the overhead tension rod. Chris, I like what you did with the spring and the tip top, nice idea.

John

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 17, 2015 08:56AM

If you cannot get spring steel the top of an old light action Ugly Stick works well as a tensioner/line feeder. a 2 to 6# one works for me.
Tie one end of a large REC double footed fly guide on the tip and its easy to thread too.

The big plus with this and spring steel layouts compared to what they have on every power wrapper i have seen is the ability to go in reverese while keeping tension on the thread.
You ARE going to want to go in reverse a few times...............

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2015 09:06AM

Look for lure making on some of the suppliers for lure shafts and forms

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 25, 2015 07:14AM

I have used the flex coat tensioner for many years with no problems of thread damage. I know it's a possibility, but I've not experienced it. I like it because it is so easy to change spools instantly without having to reset tension as is the case with some tensioners that load the spool.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 25, 2015 07:14AM

I have used the flex coat tensioner for many years with no problems of thread damage. I know it's a possibility, but I've not experienced it. I like it because it is so easy to change spools instantly without having to reset tension as is the case with some tensioners that load the spool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster