I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pro Kote Problem
Posted by: Gene Beavers (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2015 06:15PM

I am using Pro Kote to coat my threads and the last two rods I built have resulted in the epoxy remaining sticky to the touch. I applied it during a cold snap in an unheated garage. As a novice I don't know why. Any suggestions, thoughts, etc? The rods were built early January, the low temps were mid 30's. I use an automatic mixer and use syringes to measure out the amounts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Kote Problem
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2015 06:21PM

If you mixed it correctly sounds like you need to put the rod in a nice warm place or 1 - 2 days it should dry ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2015 06:21PM

Assuming that you did indeed mix completely and with equal portions of both parts (always mix at least 3ccs of each part), the low temp certainly plays a role and requires much more time for the epoxy to set and cure. Bringing the rod inside to a warmer area should rectify the situation within a 24 hour period.

Date: February 15, 2015 06:28PM

Sounds like you are finishing under 32% not good I like cooler temps but that is way too cold
here in North jersey we are lucky if we get 15 to 20 lately As cold as a witches - well you know

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 15, 2015 06:32PM

Thanks, bill and tom for your replies. I didn't mix at least 3 cc's of each and our high temps this time of the year average in the low 70's so i don't think it's the temp, but i am going to bring them in the house. When i mixed it i did notice the mixture didn't turn cloudy like it did when i took the rod building course., but most of the time i didn't really watch it, i just came back after 5-10 minutes and used it straight out of the container i mixed it in. Should i have placed it in a 'tin'?

Date: February 15, 2015 06:35PM

Bill, no freezes yet this year, the coldest it has been as been 34º. I'm thinking with my inexperience i've messed it up somehow. . . . . . A bit of trivia that hopefully will help you. .. to make the degree sign ALT167.

Date: February 15, 2015 06:51PM

If you mixed it correctly it will cleal when mixed enough Most say several min's

If your temp is in the low 70's it is NOT the temperature That is more them warm enough
heck i mix and then apply in the 40's then shout the doors and let the place warm up
Sounds like not enought time mixing it It should be clear it will be cloudy - then change to clear after a good mix
I use the new Flex Coat UV finish Seems not to turn yellow like the old stuff did

Did you put the finish on when it was in the low 30 degrees ?? Reread your post

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 06:56PM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 15, 2015 07:29PM

I put it on in the high 30's with an electric space heater going in the garage, but turned it off when i went to bed, with the dryer still going (18 rpm). Turned the dryer off the next morning and turned the space heater back on. ... I never saw the mixture get cloudy, it was always clear when i came back to it. Could the pro kote be outdated? I bought it 2+ years ago. I really appreciate yall helping me with this.

Date: February 15, 2015 07:32PM

We seem to come back to did i mix it properly? And i would say that each part was within 0.5 cc of the other. .. .. Could that be the problem? are the mixture tolerances that tight?

Date: February 15, 2015 07:32PM

We seem to come back to did i mix it properly? And i would say that each part was within 0.5 cc of the other. .. .. Could that be the problem? are the mixture tolerances that tight?

Date: February 15, 2015 07:47PM

A half cc at just a total of 6ccs is a pretty darn large margin. You're talking about better than a 15% difference and is indeed enough to throw off the mix to the point where it's likely to remain tacky. Yes, when it comes to finishes, the mixture "tolerances" are that tight. With syringes, there's never any reason to be off that far.

If having the rod at a higher temperature for a day doesn't do it, you should recoat, with a properly measured mix. Try to keep the temperature consistent until the finish has set and cured.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 15, 2015 08:44PM

You cannot expect any epoxy to cure properly at temps in the 30's. Always use syringes, mix at least 3 cc's total, some recommend more, and mix for at least 120 seconds at 70 degrees or higher, and you will not have problems. You cannot compromise on these requirements if you want to have 100% success.

[www.flexcoat.com]

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 15, 2015 08:55PM

I know that in my basement when the temps are below 60 that I need to mix mine for 3 minutes to have a clear mix. Temp is also important when doing the mix.

Date: February 15, 2015 08:57PM

Tom, does recoat mean overlying the existing or melting it off and reapplying?

Michael, Thanks for the info. I have not been mixing enough. . ..

Again, Guys, thanks for the info it is very helpful

Date: February 15, 2015 09:35PM

Yes, you can generally overcoat what you have there now and be okay.

Date: February 15, 2015 09:58PM

Tom, Thanks.

I think that's what I need to do. I think I didn't mix the proper amounts.

Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.tor.primus.ca)
Date: February 15, 2015 10:42PM

I use prokote if its not warm enough it won't cure 100%. Its a great epoxy but it takes forever to cure. I would say a day and a half in good temp.

Date: February 15, 2015 10:43PM

I use prokote if its not warm enough it won't cure 100%. Its a great epoxy but it takes forever to cure. I would say a day and a half in good temp.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster