I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

K series guides
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 15, 2015 05:26PM

I was told by another builder that Fuji recommends locking wraps not be used on K-series guides. Is this true? Is there somewhere I can read this info for myself? Thanks, Lynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K series guides
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2015 01:58AM

Lynn,

I don't know about Fuji's recommendation for a locking wrap on the K-series guides; but I always put a locking wrap on a single foot guide. It's a lot easier to do when wrapping the guide than to repair one when it has pulled out. Although I must say, I have had one pull out, even before I starting using the locking wrap.

PS: I really like the K-series guides for braid. I just finished a couple of rods with then and I used a piece of twine to show the customer how the K-series guides release a wind loops. He was impressed.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.72.164.---)
Date: February 16, 2015 07:57AM

Hey Don, how do you set up knot demonstration with twine? Is there a video? Thx MH

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.dhcp.gsvl.ga.charter.com)
Date: February 16, 2015 09:22AM

I put the Forhan locking wrap on all my wraps, including the K guides, and have not had any problems,

I redid a rod for a friend, about 2 years ago, and put on Batson microguides for him. He brought the rod back this fall, and had managed to pull every guide out. I had not put the Forhan locking wrap on this rod.

Wondering if Jim Ising of Anglers Resource might respond to the original question?

Bert Nagy

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2015 09:24AM

Lynn, great question !!! Thank you for asking it. I'll be using K series on my very first rod build, and from looking at the construction of the a TKATG guide, which is what I will be using as running guides, it doesn't appear as if a locking wrap would be easy to perform cleanly. Although I will say as new as I am to rod building, I have only been practicing a locking wrap for the last couple of weeks.

Also, judging by the pictures of the guides in Mudhole's catalog, and from reading past posts about them on this web site, they have a spade foot. I'm assuming the spade (if that's the proper term) was put on the single foot guides, to alleviate the chance of a guide pulling out.

I'll definitely be following this thread closely to see what kind of answers you get. Thanks again for posting this question.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2015 10:25AM

Here's what Jim Ising said last month about how he personally does it...
[rodbuilding.org]

I don't use the Forhan on the KTAGs, but do 5 blocking wraps in front of the guides, taking advantage of the "wicking window" (Fuji's term) to better encase the guides with finish. Haven't done any pullout tests, tho.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2015 01:42PM

Virtually any guide, especially single foot guides can be wrapped with a locking wrap.

Certainly, guide feet that are shaped like arrows, with a locking barb on them, have many fewer issues in pulling out, than a guide that has a straight tapered foot.

I seldom put locking wraps on "large guides" with effective barbs on them, but put locking wraps on most of the smaller guides that are more prone to pulling out. After one has done 40 or 50, it is really just 2nd nature to put the locking wraps on the foot at the end of the wrap and takes next to no time to complete.

Be safe

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2015 03:48PM

Michael Harmon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Don, how do you set up knot demonstration with
> twine? Is there a video? Thx MH

Michael,

I saw a video quite sometime ago; but I can't remember if it was on YouTube or Fuji's website. The video explained what causes wind loops, (crosswinds), and how they can occur on standard guides. It then showed how the K-Series guides eliminates the possibility of the line locking up on the guide.

I just took some twine and strung it through the guide as if I was stringing the rod. I then flipped a loop around the guide from the front side to the back side of the guide, (up and over it). Then I gave a slight pull on the twine, (tip side of the rod), and the twine flipped loose from the guide. The customer was impressed as he plans to throw braided line on the rod. It was the first time I had tried the wind loop demonstration and it worked just like shown on the video.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: February 16, 2015 05:47PM

Well folks, thanks for all your responses. I use the Forhan wrap on all single ft. guides if possible, and was trying to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong after hearing this other builder's opinion. I did some digging today and saw a post on another forum which states " using locking wraps on K series guides renders them ineffective at shedding loops" and goes on to say the Fuji Japan catalog uses a diagram showing not to do this. I tried looking at the Japan catalog, and let's just say my Japanese is a bit lacking. (read nonexistent) This looks to be one for Jim Ising, hoping he chimes in. Thanks, Lynn (this would be a good topic for the Expo, wish I were able to attend)

Date: February 17, 2015 01:12AM

Lynn,
Someone will have to explain to me how adding a few locking wraps at the base of a K guide has any effect at all on the guide's ability to shed wind loops.

Maybe it does affect the shedding ability, but someone will have to show me a video or similar evidence that that is the case.

It certainly is not obvious that that would be the case.

Be safe

Date: February 17, 2015 01:16AM

This video certainly does not indicate that a locking wrap would have any effect on shedding loops. The line never gets close to the base of the guide where the locking loops are located. Since that is the case, it would not seem likely that the locking wraps would ever effect the shedding character of the K guides.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 17, 2015 04:20PM

I agree 100% Roger. Sounded like bull to me. Lynn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2015 05:43PM

More Marketing to me

Come to think about it
Are these the guides that Fuji made some years ago ------ Did not sell ---- builders - I can not remember whydid not buy them - but all of a sudden they now did research and now they are the only guides that will work - With The Microwave Set Up ????

just throwing that out I still think they should sell One - two and not sell ONLY SETS

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 05:51PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 18, 2015 11:26AM

The tangle-free design of K-Series guides has nothing to do with the type of wrap applied. Below a size 5.5, I use a locking wrap on the KT frame style. I see no need for it with any other K-Series guide and honestly have never had a pull out with or without the wrap.

Date: February 18, 2015 01:05PM

Thanks Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster