I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo Rod Repair Question
Posted by: jon tobey (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: February 14, 2015 03:13PM

My friend has a bamboo rod given to him by his dad that needs some repair. It may have actually come down from his grandfather so its pretty old. One of the metal ferrules is loose and "clicks." I want to remove and reglue this piece.
1) Any best methods for removing the old ferrule? The glue on the handle just dried up and I can pull the handle off. Hoping maybe heat does the trick?
2) What glue to best reattach it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Rod Repair Question
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2015 04:26PM

Those old bamboo rods were assembled using "hide glue" made from hides and hooves. A gentle application of heat should easily soften it and come off. Use a current slow cure epoxy to re-attach it.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2015 04:57PM

Gentle application of heat should help remove it. However depending on the make of rod there could be a pin in the ferrule that will have to be removed.. Let us know the make of the rod and we can see if it's pinned.

Date: February 14, 2015 05:41PM

No manufacturer on it. I'll try to get some pictures. It does look like there may be a pin in it. I never would've figured that out.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2015 07:52AM

The ferrules themselves were usually installed with a hot melt ferrule cement. Some heat applied directly to the ferrule should do the trick.

Date: February 17, 2015 11:23PM

I have some pictures and the ferrules look to be pinned. What do I do, go to the image gallery and post them?

Date: February 18, 2015 05:00PM

Uploaded a photo showing one of the pins.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

The rod doesn't seem to have a manufacturers name on it. Handed down 2 generations, might be an old kit rod?

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2015 09:08PM

You're going to need a small pin punch for that. Lacking that in a pinch you could use a very call brad as a punch. You are going to have to punch it thru part way and then grab it on the other sided and pull it out. A pair of hemostats works great for grabbing them.

Date: February 18, 2015 09:32PM

And what do you replace them with? Do I need to order the parts?

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2015 03:10AM

you may want to replace both ferrules. there are sources for the many ferrule types used on bamboo fly rods over the years, i have one business in mind but won't name it because they are not a sponsor and i do not want to cross any lines here (though it is a specialized market). and not knowing when it was made, it's tough to determine what kind of glue was used, and even then it would be a guess without knowing the maker or manuacturer. this could be a japanese kit rod from the post WWII era too.

simply removing the pin and reusing the ferrule MAY be a problem if you cannot remove it cleanly. the "best" way might be to remove the ferrule completely and replace altogether. both sides. if you're interested in doing that (good experience for you :) contact me via my email link and i'll send info written by others. yours is hidden otherwise i'd have messaged you directly. i can also forward you a page that has discussion by many on how to remove ferrules on bamboo fly rods, including dealing with the pin. special note: I do not have experience with this process myself.

good luck!

eric
freso, ca.

Date: February 19, 2015 03:51AM

I don't know how to unhide my email, but it's jontobey@yahoo.com.
I have one ferrule that is "clicking" I think I just want to take that one off and if it comes off cleanly, don't think I want to replace it. That sounds like a night mare.
Based on your advice, I'll do it if I have to, but right now I'm hoping I can remove the pin, heat the ferrule up and pop it off. Then (actually either way if I reuse or replace) I still need the pin source. Can you send me that to start?

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 19, 2015 12:42PM

Jon, check your e mail. I sent you some info.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster