I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SEV fly blanks
Posted by: Doug Casey (98.195.18.---)
Date: February 13, 2015 07:47PM

Going through old blank inventory and found 21 SEV blanks from many years ago. I remember the "conversation" between the "new" owner and Tom about "economy" etc. I am wondering if all those blanks are all slow or moderate action? All are marked similarly, such as 2 pc 9045 or SW GF 908 and a couple of 2 pc 7' spin. I am just curious about the action from those who have built on these. And, also what ever happened to them? Anyone know? I no longer have the cost(s) but for me to have that many they have been not tyhe most expensive. I found over 100 blanks in my work area I haven't seen in 4-5 years. Lots of Rainshadow, Forecast, Lamiglas and a few others. I am just tryinmg to classify them and get organised.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SEV fly blanks
Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2015 03:52AM

Are these the Sevier fly blanks, often called Tiger-Eye? those had a unique golden brown coloration to them and were low to moderate in the price range. the ones I bought were generally under $50 for trout sized fly blanks.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Doug Casey (98.195.18.---)
Date: February 15, 2015 01:28PM

yes, I believe that is them. Any idea of the advertized "action"/ Slow, moderate etc? I have 4/5, 7, 8, 9, 12, and 14 wts. I built a lot of them and just re-couped my cost or gave them away. Guess I'll finish some and see what happens. I am not a fyl fisherman but I build a very good funjtional and eye pleasing rod.

What thread colors work well with the blank finish. I would call it a dark rust, maroon, brown.
Thanks

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2015 05:10AM

I probably couldn't describe the action in correct terms. I have a 7'6" 4 piece for 3/4 line, and a 7' 2 piece for 3/4 line that i've fished. We've had drought conditions here in California for years so it's been awhile. They are not the type of blank that flexes deeply. But i don't think i'd call them a fast tip action either. i imagine the catelogs/listings might have had them described as "medium-fast" but of course that's all subjective and depends on other variables. I use mine for small to medium sized streams for small/medium sierra trout and actually, i recall really liking the rods. They're my Oreo cookies. If you ask me my favorite rods, i'd list something else, but when i fish them, i always wonder why i don't fish them as my first choice. I could really zing the fly out there when needed. i think they were IM-6 43 million modulas blanks.

i also have a 9 footer for 5/6 line i think but have never finished it out because if i recall, the butt diameter was much bigger than the smaller sizes i use and i never had a reel seat that readily worked.

they called them Tiger-eye blanks because most called it a tiger-eye color. or rootbeer. translucent golden brown. it looks great in sunlight. i think i went with a chestnut thread for one rod, fine tips in pure white (not CP, rather "stay-tru" thread). the other rod i used orange and black classic twist from gudebrod, with CP just at the ferrule wraps to help quickly determine where to break down the rod. i think i recall others using garnet thread.

-eric

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: February 20, 2015 04:43AM

Once you've got a measuring rig installed, it won't take much longer than a couple of minutes to CCS a blank.
Just sayin'...

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster