I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

anglers workshop float rod blank, magical?
Posted by: darren asato (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 11, 2015 07:37AM

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of anglers workshop float rod blank "awsp148f2" ? It's specs are 14'8", ml power, mod fast action, 3/4 to 3 ounce lure wt., blank wt. of 5.25 ounces and a cost of $177. Oh and IM6 graphite.
I have called them and they have confirmed the specs. But I still have a hard time believing a blank this long can handle a 3 ounce lure and still only weigh 5.25 ounces and have a mod fast action. The "menpachi blanks" we use in Hawaii are 8 inches shorter, have half the lure wt., and weigh approx. 2 to 3 ounces more.
If this blank were made of IM8 graphite and cost twice as much I might be more believing.
If the specs are correct this blank would make a great rod for whipping lightl plugs to catch small ulua (jacks 10 to 20#).
Please let me know what this blank is like if you have actually seen and handled one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anglers workshop float rod blank, magical?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2015 07:47AM

You're correct - doesn't make sense.
What line rating does it have?
Herb
CTS Distrib.

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: February 11, 2015 01:11PM

Howsit Darren, I was told the Anglers inhouse blanks were made by Talon. This was confimed by many local braddahs in Hawaii. You can actually buy direct from Talon. The website has not been updated in awhile, but you can email them directly. I live in WA and build mostly salmon and steelhead blanks... I have built a few salmon/steelhead blanks for menpachi and Papio fishing and they all do just fine...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 11, 2015 03:32PM

Talon has Menpachi blanks already designed on the website. Angler's Workshop was bought and moved recently, I bet they are not near as educated on the rod blanks they have as the original owners. I don't see those AW blanks on any of the Talon literature I have, they may be a special designed for them. Talon would have the best info, they build about 600 designs, the ones on their site are the most popular in the US.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2015 03:38PM

One of the former owners of AW is still working there.

Posted by: Razvan Matei (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: February 11, 2015 04:49PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't see those AW blanks on any of the Talon
> literature I have, they may be a special designed
> for them. Talon would have the best info, they
> build about 600 designs, the ones on their site
> are the most popular in the US.

AW stands for Angler's Workshop and SP is probably from Special Purpose. Also, the blank isn't ML power. (AWSP)148ML2 (1/2 - 2 1/2 oz, 6-12lb, 5.0oz, .855butt, 5.5tip) = Talon 148ML, is ML power. Talon 148MF (3/4 - 3 oz) is the blank that comes closest (http://www.talon-graphite.com/vispin8.html).

Posted by: darren asato (107.25.74.---)
Date: February 11, 2015 05:25PM

To see the specs first hand go to "anglers workshop.com/salmon-steelhead-flies" click the left box labeled "aw im6 float blanks sp148....".
The chart shows specs for three similar blanks. The line wt. for the one I'm interested in is 8-15#. The tip is a 5 and the butt is 0.87.
If the specs are true I would cut the tip back a little put light weight titanium guides on it and make the ultimate rod for casting small plugs of 1-2 ounces. Its light weight should make it as easy if not easier to handle than a 14 ft. Menpachi rod . I currently use a rod made from a All-star med saltwater spin elite graphite blank. I don't know this blanks max lure wt but I doubt its much more than 4 ounces. The All-star blank weighed about 9 oz. so the AW blank should feel like a feather at 5.25 ounces. The All stars action is in the upper range of what I would consider medfast so the two blanks should be in the same ballpark. Even if the AW blank is a little less powerful I would gain over a foot of length; important when fishing from cliffs and still have a 4 + ounce lighter rod . This a good trade to me.

Date: February 11, 2015 07:21PM

Thank you Mr. Matei. I went to the website you provided and these blanks do look very similar to the AW blanks.I emailed talon for more specs that were not on the page. I wonder if they will be the same or more believeable than the AW specs.
Another puzzling thing is if AW blanks are resourced talons how can they sell them for 70+ dollars less than what the manufacturer charges? In any event your link should prove helpful in getting to the bottom of this.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 11, 2015 08:50PM

In the 2004 AW catalog they are a bit higher in price than they are now.

Date: February 13, 2015 05:24PM

I called talon and they gave me the complete specs for their 148mfe blank some of which were not on the website. They are 14' 8" long, 8-17# line, 3/4 to 3 oz. lure wt., 5 tip, .860 butt, MF action and most importantly 9 oz. blank weight. This is a much more realistic blank weight than the 5.25 oz. that AW gives for its blank which is identical in specs to the talon except for butt dia. Which is .870 for the AW blank.
AW is currently out of stock of the awsp148mf2 so I can't ask them to actually weigh one for me. For now I must conclude that the posted weight of the AW blank is incorrect. While the Talon blank looks pretty good it does not have enough advantages over my current All-star rod to justify its purchase. It was nice to think that there was a magical blank out there for a little while.
Thank you for your posts they helped me get to the bottom of this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster