I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish Tape
Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 11:30AM

Hey all,
Thought I had the bright idea of putting down some masking tape towards the foot of my guides so I could get a straight line on my finish for each guide. However, the epoxy just soaked up into the tape and left me with a mess to clean up. Just wondering if anyone has used that blue painters tape and if that would work better?

Thanks,

Jon Meyers
Loon State

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish Tape
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2015 11:37AM

Best bet is to not use tape at all. It's very easy to get a square edge. Just use a support block under the heel of your brush hand, then with your fingers lower the brush to the edge of the wrap (however far past it you like) and rotate the rod one complete revolution. It's not at all hard to get a straight, crisp and clean edge this way.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 12:15PM

Jon,

I recently saw a video from Flex Coat showing how they address the problem of keeping the epoxy edge straight. I was quite surprised to see they use a 200 rpm motor to apply the epoxy then move to rod over to a slower rotating drying motor while the epoxy sets up. I, myself, follow Tom's suggestion and just use a support to steady my hand while the epoxy is being applied.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 10, 2015 12:20PM

One of the Flex coat videos shows someone using tape on a trolling rod. It's not really gone over in depth, but I suspect tape type, quality and degree of tension as it's applied are factors that contribute to how well it works (or doesn't).

The method Tom describes works well for hand wrappers as long as your hands don't shake too much. A power wrapper that can turn the blank at about 200 rpm or so will make things easier. If you have shaky hands like I do, minimizing your contact time is the key.

As I age the unsteadiness of my hands is getting really bad even with a hand rest and power wrapper. I can line up the brush okay but plunging it to the blank for a split second as it spins is dicey for me. I have to concentrate, hold my breath, and do whatever I can to minimize the shakes. I think I'm probably heading towards needing the tape myself (or maybe teaching the kid next door how to apply epoxy and giving him a couple bucks a rod to do it for me).

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-206.myvzw.com)
Date: February 10, 2015 01:20PM

Here are links to the videos talked about in this thread.

[www.flexcoat.com]

[www.flexcoat.com]

Thanks for the reference.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 01:23PM

If for some reason I do get an edge that is not straight I turn the rod at about 50 rpm and take a coffee filter with a little DNA on it and work it towards the edge on the bare blank. Squares it up perfect.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2015 01:33PM

I have used 1/4 inch masking tape.
The secret is to take the tape off once the finish has been applied.
The longer you wait, the more chance the finish has to creep under the tape.

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 01:45PM

Thanks for all the help,
I do worry about the steadiness of my hands, however, I'm not rotating the blank very fast so maybe I'll give that a shot. I try to stay away from my power wrapper when applying epoxy as the rod seems to creep away out of the wrapper...Thought about glueing in the rubber holds to the wrapper but am not sure that's the best solution.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 02:44PM

Auto pinstriping tape may be your best bet And sounds like you got one of those chucks need some rubber bands on the chuck to keep the rod in Many post here on ways to do this

Or a chuck upgrade A faster speed is the easiest way To apply the finish and do the edges The hand rest also helps a lot

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 03:31PM

Apply the finish to a quickly spinning rod and the finish has to be straight.

Be safe

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 10, 2015 06:58PM

If you do use masking tape do not use the crêpe back masking tape.
The crate pattern will allow the epoxy to see underneath.
If you want to use masking tape use the blue painters tape for delicate surfaces.
That uses a flat back paper it will not allow proxy to seep in.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.nwqt1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 11, 2015 05:13AM

I always use the blue masking tape without problems but be aware there are various types of blue tape, the last cheap spool I purchased was a plastic based ,wasn't game to try it on a rod build.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2015 09:10PM

I typically use the method that Tom described with very good results. The key is to get enough finish loaded on your brush or spatula so you can have an even application in one rotation.

In the event that I miss a spot, I will take my spatula, loaded with a little more finish and turn it on edge for another rotation right against the wrap. This gives me a clean edge just past the wrap.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster