I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

question about stocking components for bass rods
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2015 11:47PM

Hey guys so I need to make an order soon for just different components so I will have everything minus the blank in stock. I am using fuji ecsm reel seats which have a built in arbor. I have not built on a lot of different blanks from different companies so I am not really sure on the most common sizes for tips and reel seats. What would you suggest I stock if I build primarily bass rods? Im thinking common powers and lengths, so 6'6-7'6 mediums, medium heavies, ect. Thanks guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question about stocking components for bass rods
Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: February 10, 2015 08:01AM

If it were me I wouldn't stock too many blanks. The reason being each person has their own idea what a perfect blank for an application is; you would go broke keeping up with that. However, you could stock up on components such as Fuji alconites in sizes 25j-8jl and Fuji fly guides size 6. These guides are fairly common choices. You then could just order the blank when you have an order and then offer titanium guides as an upgrade. Once you get your customer base up and a reputation, then it might be beneficial to stock blanks.

As far as tips rings 6 and tube sizes 4.5, 5 and 5.5 are also fairly common. Hope that helps.

Dan Grulke

Date: February 10, 2015 09:30AM

Thanks for the response! I realized that my first post was not very clear. I am not planning on stocking blanks. I was mentioning powers and lengths and whatnot as those are what I am going to be building on most regularly, so I wanted to give you an idea on the blanks that I use for when you answer about reel seat size and tips. Sorry for the confusion! Would you think that if I ordered reel seats from 9.5-14mm I should probably be good?

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 09:51AM

Unless you plan on building a "line" of rods to have for sale, I would propose that you don't stock anything except maybe the guides and tip tops you plan to use. There are so many styles of reel seats and variations on what customers want that it doesn't pay to tie up your cash in inventory. There are many distributors that can fill your needs pretty quickly so you can have your parts in less than a week. This is especially true if you are using exposed blank reel seats where a more specific fit is needed. If you order an extra reel seat every now and then, you'll have a few on hand for those emergency situations (I need a retirement party gift by the end of the week) :-)

Good luck!

Terry

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: February 10, 2015 10:25AM

For exposed reel seats you can probably go from 10.5 to 13. 9.5 is fairly small for a bass blank. For full reel seats size 17 in both spinning and casting would work. 6' 6" Med power for spinning rods and typically 7 to 7 6" in med-heavy power for casting. Add 6 ring 6- 6.5 tube to your tip selection to cover the heavier rods.
The exposed seats you may want to have the blank on hand first so you can measure where you want the seat to fit that way your not stuck with the wrong reel seat size.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 10:58AM

X10 on Terry's comments.
Most of the distributors can ship to your address within a couple of days.
It doesn't make sense to have a large stock of anything on hand, for the main reason that interests, styles and components change.
What is popular and in demand today, is yesterday's news the next day.

If, on the other hand, you can forecast a build cycle of a hundred rods or so, of similar style - it could make sense to have stock on hand for this guide and tip style. Otherwise, likely not.

You will be a few years down the line and you will be asking your self why did you order these components that you have never, and will never use.

Be safe

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 12:07PM

Cameron,

I too went through the same dilemma when I first started my business. I now have components that I initially bought and I, (as Roger indicates above), "You will be a few years down the line and you will be asking yourself why did you order these components that you have never, and will never use".

I would suggest stocking the most common casting & spinning guides. I stock Fuji Alconites. For bass casting rods, micro guides have become very much in demand. For spinning rods, it is a different game. There are some many spinning rod guides out there to choose from. If you haven't tried them the ATC MicroWave Guides are the "cat's meow", IMHO. But I really like the Fuji High Frame K-Series as well, especially for braid line. You can always order the guides when ordering the blank; which is what I do most of the time if I don't have them in stock. When ordering guides I always order a couple of extra running guides, as the static loading of the blank will tell you how many and where to place the running guides.

As for reel seats, I wait until I am ordering the blank to order the reel seat. The taper of each blank is different and the distance the reel seat is located up from the rear of the blank is pretty much dependant on the customer's wishes. I order the reel seat size that I think will fit the blank in the position desires then I ask the vendor to check the reel seat fit at what ever distance up from the butt of the blank, (request can be place in the comments box if ordering online).

I wish you much success in your new endeavour. I myself love it...don't make a lot of $; but I still love it!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: February 10, 2015 01:58PM

Thanks guys for all the advice! This board has been so much help, I really appreciate everyone being so willing to help out!

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.buvl.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 16, 2015 12:15AM

You might want to buy only what you need plus a few extra starting out. You may find that as you gain more experience you find certain brands of products you like better than others. Only time will answer this question. Also, guides such as micros came into play and put dust of guides that were used prior to them coming on the market. The market does and is advancing its products.

Need 8 guides buy 9 or 10. Build up slow. Also, pay attention who gives you service and who does not.

Thread colors, gosh who knows??????

Good luck, sounds like you are in the process of catching the fever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster