I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

British FF&FT Review of Carbon Fiber Fly Grips
Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: February 09, 2015 03:10PM

Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Magazine, a leading British fly fishing publication, recently reviewed the Mill Tackle 9' #5 4-piece fly rod. I thought I would share it with this community at Tom's suggestion since I build these grips for John Miller using the techniques I learned in RodMaker. I have posted an image of the write up in the photo gallery:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

It looks as if these carbon fiber grips are finally getting some traction. And with some staunch traditionalists, even. He got the weights confused between the two rods - and the only top coating on them is Permagloss - but all in all a very positive and fair review. I have only ever had one customer give these grips a fair shot in a day's fishing and not become a convert. And even he admitted it cast better..he just couldn't get over the looks.

A very personal and heartfelt thank you to Tom Kirkman and Andy Dear for their development of this technique and for teaching me how to build them in the pages of RodMaker Magazine. The cost of my yearly subscription continues to prove the best money I spend on rodbuilding. And to think...in the beginning a lot of folks said there was not enough material to keep a magazine going!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: British FF&FT Review of Carbon Fiber Fly Grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2015 03:22PM

Many people misjudge them at first glance. I've heard it all - slippery when wet (they're not) not durable (more durable than cork or EVA) too expensive (make your own for just a few bucks a pop).

One thing is for sure, the vastly improved transfer of energy makes these the top grip for applications where your rod hand is actually in contact with the grip.

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: February 09, 2015 04:53PM

Great Info, I have built several gear rods with Carbon Fiber handles. I have had several guys asking me to build rods using carbon fiber, but i am unable to build them due to supply issues with a certain company....... Anyone else have a different source I can get them from? Looking for the Foam Core portion or silicon mold to produce the foam cores.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: February 09, 2015 05:21PM

Hello Roger -

Not sure which supplies you are unable to get but am happy to try to help. The only place for the molds I am aware of is Riley Rods. Those are the molds I use for all of my grips since they are so fast. You also use / waste less foam if you are making a bunch of grips because you don't lose all the material in the 'corners' like you do when you turn down a blank that is square in cross section.

However, you don't have to use a silicon mold to create a foam core. Do a search on this forum or order the original back issue of RodMaker and there are several methods like pouring them into a PVC pipe treated with release agent, pouring them into a release agent treated baking ban and subsquently cutting them into rectangles, boring them and turning them, etc.

As far as the foam core material, I have used several different expanding urethane pour foams and they all work. I personally go for the cheapest option I can find that is available in the # density I am looking for. But I am buying in large quantities...the smaller batches of 6# from Riley Rods are the ideal all around in my experience.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me directly if you have other questions. Good luck!

Bill

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: February 09, 2015 05:42PM

US Composites is the original source of the foam and I think they have recently added the carbon and glass skins. Do a quick google search and you will turn them right away.

Posted by: jose gulias (---.Red-79-145-220.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: February 23, 2015 06:15PM

Hi all. Where can i buy any copy of that old magazines? My first atempt to carbon grip doen't look fine... Thans in advance for the responses and excuse my poor english...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster