I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building my first surf rod
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2015 09:51PM

So I have someone wanting me to build them a surf rod on a SU1088F-2-MHX. It is 9ft MH and throws 2-5oz. I need some advice as I have only built bass rods before. What kind of guides should I use with this rod? It is going to be spinning. I just dont know if double foot is a requirement for this size, or what model guide or anything else to go with. He also wants Winn grips and a foregrip. I see the 10.5in winn but Im not sure it would be long enough. Then I see the 12in foregrip. It is labled foregrip but I dont see how with it being 12 inches. Is that actually a rear? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building my first surf rod
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 09, 2015 08:08AM

Cameron,
the reel will to a large extent determine the guide size.
Bigger reel = bigger stripper guide.
Then the kind of knots being passed, you need to know that.
Wind on leader or braid to uni + floro or?
Genuine surf or from a pier or mixed?
What line does he use?

All season and some mono gets hard in winter, you will be wanting to flatten out those loops.

How does he use it? Lures, weight and bait? Freelined live bait? baitboat?Kite?

How does he hold his rod? American style in his armpit? In fishing belt?

Does he have paunch? That drives handle/grip sizes.
How big are his hands? That determines diameter of grip.

Does he have RA in his hands so you need to enlarge and cushion the grip area?
Just some of the things i would want to know before i even began to do the build or advise someone else what to build on.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2015 09:17AM

Check out the MicroWave 50 system.... it has been successfully tested on surf, carp and boat rods.... It is available through your favorite distributor.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 09, 2015 02:32PM

Lou Auret Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Does he have paunch?

I resemble that remark.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 09, 2015 02:39PM

John, i speak from experience too!

Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: February 09, 2015 09:48PM

Cameron,
I primarily surf fish and this lead to me building primarily surf rods for the couple years I have been building my own rods. here is my 2 cents.
Guides - I seem to be going more to Fuji. I have used there BVSLG and like them and they are a good price. I find myself going to Alconites more though and don't mind the extra price. I usually put double foots all the way up the rod. Of course the use dictates, I do have rods with a double foot guides transitioning into single foot runners. Without considering other more expensive guides, the black Fuji seem to hold up nicely in the salt and my particular abuses. The silver ones seem to not hold up as well. (Of course there is no science behind this)
Handle - Typically I use either cork tape or I make a split grip eva. Never used winn so don't know much about them. The foregrip needs to be big enough to be useful, I like one around 6 inches. It does get used, unlike in other types of fishing. You need to use a butt cap that matches the way the rod is used (fishing belt or not)
My surf rods spend a good amount of time in pvc rod holders, so the handles can take some abuse going into and out of the holder.

That being said, I am building a 8 foot rod with similar butt and tip dimensions as the one you are looking at. I went with a 12 inch eva rear grip and a 4 inch eva fore grip. Havent fished it yet as I just finished the dec wrap and haven't put guides on it yet. It is getting Fuji BKWAGs, starting with a 30j. all double foots.

as others have said, more specifics on what its primary use will be will help make the answers more specific. My pompano rod is different than my drum rod, but the above is sort of a starting point for a basic all around surf rod. And of course, a Rodmaker back issue is out there that has a surf rod primer. The article explains several of the methods and types of materials used.

Good luck
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 10:10PM by mike thacker.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2015 11:40PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, it has given me a lot to consider. Basically he is wanting this rod as an all around rod without a set use.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 05:45PM

My suggestion is to maybe have him pick a factory rod or find a custom built rod he likes and use those specs as a guideline.
I surf fish on the west coast for striped bass and my needs for tossing swim baits and plugs if very specific. I tend to like a medium heavy
action 9 1/2 foot graphite steelhead rod with some backbone and a bit of a faster action. Like an 8-17. These are just some thoughts as
locale,style of fishing and environment along with personal tastes and needs are all variables. There is no such thing as an all around rod,so he
may want to do some research so you guys at least have a direction to move towards. Good luck!

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (107.77.90.---)
Date: February 10, 2015 07:23PM

I really like the microwave 50's. Smooth casting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster