I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Match Guides
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: February 08, 2015 05:55PM

What are good applications for Match guides and tips?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Match Guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 08, 2015 07:06PM

Light to medium power spinning rods, back when the first long spool Daiwa spinning reels reached the U.S.they came out with a series of rods called the Aero that came with match guides, G Loomis used them on their lighter powered steelhead rods before that, they were used in Europe and Japan long before that. I haven't used any line heavier than 10 lb. soft mono with them, that I remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 07:31PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2015 07:43PM

Neil,
I generally use a match guide for the stripper guide on most of my builds to get the height that I want.

Be safe

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2015 10:23PM

As mentioned above, they are great on lower power rods, and could work on heavier rods provided you don't abuse them. The taller frames are a bit more susceptible to bending than a Y frame guide of comparable height due to the longer lengths from the blank to the ring. The bit I'm going to add is that you need a supple line to pass through the match guides, such as a light mono or a braid, stiffer monos and fluoros will not pass through the smaller ID as well.

I've used them on a couple pack rods, but I still find the traditional Y frame guides to give a more aesthetically pleasing look to a reduction train (when it matters).

It really depends on the application and end user as to whether or not I reach for the match guides.

Joe

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: February 09, 2015 12:34AM

I use Minima 4 Match guides for the reduction train on light Spinning rod (drop shot rods).
Same concept as Fuji KR concept before KL High become available.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 09, 2015 08:07AM

I like a match guide for a butt guide, then SV style for transition guides, then fly guides for runners. Don't care for the match running guides and tips.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2015 09:15AM

X-2 Marc

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 09, 2015 01:00PM

Time to ask a crazy question. What are "matched" guides? I've searched and really didn't see what I was looking for.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2015 01:07PM

[www.mudhole.com]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: February 09, 2015 06:11PM

Thanks much for the information. I'd ordered some and they weren't quite what I expected.

Thanks again

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 09, 2015 06:40PM

I believe that before I started building rods I had a Bass Pro Shops branded medium spinning rod that used match guides with ceramic rings.
Rog

Date: February 10, 2015 11:40AM

The basic idea of the match guides were rather similar to the current small guides that we have today.

i.e. they use much smaller guides on these rods than was typical for the day. Then, in order to keep the line loops from banging on the rod, and slowing the line cast, they elevated the entire guide train from the rod. In a word, they worked very very well.

However, due to the fragile nature of the elevated small guides, they soon fell into limited use for the general fishing population.

But, if you were to put one of the full set of matched match guides on any spinning rod today, you would find that you would get very good casting and fishing performance with the guide set. They still work very very well.

Be safe

Date: February 10, 2015 11:42AM

The basic idea of the match guides were rather similar to the current small guides that we have today.

i.e. they use much smaller guides on these rods than was typical for the day. Then, in order to keep the line loops from banging on the rod, and slowing the line cast, they elevated the entire guide train from the rod. In a word, they worked very very well.

However, due to the fragile nature of the elevated small guides, they soon fell into limited use for the general fishing population.

But, if you were to put one of the full set of matched match guides on any spinning rod today, you would find that you would get very good casting and fishing performance with the guide set. They still work very very well.

Be safe

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2015 02:33PM

In the last 13 years i was building a lot of long fishing spinning rod on fly blank+extension using SIC MATCH guides.In the same time i was changing some fly rods (SAGE RPLX G.LOOMIS IMX 9' W10,W11,W12) in spinning rods using SIC MATCH guides for fishing in salt water..
I am fishing just with artificial from the bank just with long spinning rods(over 10' ) using braid 4 lb. -10 lb.+fluorocarbon leader.

Fishing with one bolognese rod(i am from Europe) build by me on one 16'4" telescopic graphite pole TRIANA GRAND SLAM(made in Italy) with SIC MATCH guides and FIRELINE ORIGINAL SMOKE 4 lb.+14 lb. fluorocarbon leader and ABU-CARDINAL STAMINA DRAG 600U (ultra-lite reel for fresh water) i was able fishing in moving water(ROLLOVER PASS channel in BOLIVAR PENINSULA ,TEXAS) i was able to catch on jig from the bank one 40 inch ,23 lb. red fish(C&R) and another big fish like black drum,30 inch speckled trout.

Fishing in fresh water, with the same FIRELINE ORIGINAL SMOKE 4 lb.+4 lb. fluorocarbon leader i was catching on jig a lot of white bass and some 15 lb.(buffalo carp,gar fish ,flat-head catfish,paddle fish fault hooked and release) and never have problems with my MATCH guides in the last 13 years.

Like Roger Wilson say ,"they still work very ,very well "

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2015 09:59AM

I built one ultra light spinning rod with Batson Match guides, 4'-6'' putting 7 guides and a tip on it . More for playing around then anything, and was so blown away by its performance over other ultra lights with 3 or 4 guides that it started a quest for how and why.

Realizing that the performance improvements came both from the extra guides and small rings. It started the quest for applying the same improvements to longer spinning and bait casting rods. Which led to discovery of Micro guides and using them on bass rods, obtaining the improvements sought after.

The rest is history.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 17, 2015 01:36PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I built one ultra light spinning rod with Batson
> Match guides, 4'-6'' putting 7 guides and a tip on
> it . More for playing around then anything, and
> was so blown away by its performance over other
> ultra lights with 3 or 4 guides that it started a
> quest for how and why.
>
> Realizing that the performance improvements came
> both from the extra guides and small rings. It
> started the quest for applying the same
> improvements to longer spinning and bait casting
> rods. Which led to discovery of Micro guides and
> using them on bass rods, obtaining the
> improvements sought after.
>
> The rest is history.

Thank you Steve!! For everyone here is our website for ALPS and ForeCast guides: www.alpsforecast.com

Posted by: Jared Pitts (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2015 06:44PM

Steve,

I spoke with you at the expo and you mentioned that you had some recipes for some micro-guide casting rods. I left the expo...drove 5 hours...built my workbench and setup my rod building gear Sunday night. I have a blank and I want to do a spiral wrap micro-guide job. I have all the notes I wrote down in my phone and I think I will be able to manage most of the way. If work would stop getting in the way I would like to start on it this weekend. Any recipes and guidance would be well received to lessen my learning curve a bit. First timer and all. Thanks in advance for the help. Also I wanted to try a graphite/carbon grip like the one you showed me. If you have any info on that I would appreciate it. I am in research mode all week to build my first bass rod. All purpose short stick (6'6"). I want to try a lot of concepts on this rod and just involve as much as I can on this first go to find out what I like and don't like. Spring is fast approaching and those fish won't wait on me! Thanks!

Jared

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster