I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which Minimas for NFC 5 wt and 6 wt fly blanks
Posted by: George Krumm (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 11:35PM

I'm going to build two North Fork Composites fly rods soon and I'm struggling a little with which running guides to use. I plan to use Minimas, but don't know which I should get. Minima 4s and 3s both are advertised as having a wider foot. Is this wider foot going to be too wide for 6 weight and 5 weight fly blanks?

Second question is which is the best model to use, Minima 4 fly guides, or the black Minima 3 fly guides? They are different in appearance and the 4s are described as being for medium and heavier fly rods, the 3s for a variety of applications. I think Tom has mentioned in the past he used Minima 4 running guides in size 4, but I'd like to hear the latest thoughts.

Finally, what tip tops are you using with these running guides? I'm considering recoils for tip tops.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Minimas for NFC 5 wt and 6 wt fly blanks
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 05, 2015 06:28AM

I use Minima 4's on fly rods. The foot may be wider than the tip dia. on the blank, but it really has not caused any issue for me. I just use regular fly tips of a matching color.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2015 07:59AM

Such little difference in price so I use the 4's. The rings are swaged on both sides for added security.

If the foot is a little wider than the blank near the top of the blank, the foot can ground/filed to a bit narrower profile if you like.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2015 09:32AM

Go with what Tom just posted

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 05, 2015 11:11AM

We can build you a spec for NFC rod blanks if you would like. We carry ALPS and ForeCast guides. www.alpsforecast.com

If your interested, please let us know!

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2015 11:29PM

I use both the 3's and 4's it really depends on the color you want. The 4's are limited in color options only made in TiCH and Hard crome. I don't see a huge difference in the foot pattern but like tom said the 4's are double swagged. Thats why they say they are for heavy duty rods. I usually use the matching minnima style tip top so everything matches. I have a 5wt and a 7wt I'm working on that are both getting minnima 3's with 8 size 6's, 1 size 8, and a size 12 Model T to also match. The one down side to using the matching tip top is that the smallest size is a size 6 ring. So it traps me into using size 6 a lot. But it works and have used it on everything from a 3wt to a 8wt.

Posted by: George Krumm (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2015 12:24PM

Thanks everyone!

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: February 06, 2015 12:56PM

Mr. Crain,
It sounds as though you are using a Minima P top in size 6 for the builds you mentioned. PacBay does make the FM series top which has a Minima ring in sizes 03 and 04. Neither the P or FM are dedicated fly tops, but the FM has a lower profile and should perform just fine for fly applications.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: February 06, 2015 07:58PM

Thanks for pointing that out Geoff. Double checked the website I order from (utmost) and sure enough there they are. I guess I never clicked on it because in the photo it didn't look like a minima. To bad you don't make them in size five and in black and gold.

Date: February 06, 2015 07:58PM

Thanks for pointing that out Geoff. Double checked the website I order from (utmost) and sure enough there they are. I guess I never clicked on it because in the photo it didn't look like a minima. To bad you don't make them in size five and in black and gold.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster