I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy over vinyl winding check
Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 28, 2015 03:19PM

One more question. Tried search option but could not answer.
Finishing eva handle with shrink wrap over it, xflock to be exact. Handle is aleady assembled on the blank. Due to the size of the foregrip, outside diameter, the wrap was much larger and did not shrink down to the size of the blank. The winding check cannot cover the shink wrap completely, and fits just under it. I trimmed it to be flash with the vinyl winding check, but that is not what i wanted in final look. My idea is to build the epoxy transition to the blank from the handle. I m thinking of using whatever thread, metallic most likely, or black, than make transition to the blank and go on with butt wrap. So my question is- are there any considerations for using epoxy over the vinyl, or thread over the vinyl and then epoxy... ?? Maybe other option to make nice looking transition to the blank? I know, wooden custom winding check would be the best, but maybe there are less expensive solution?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy over vinyl winding check
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 05:38PM

Sergiy,
Just use one of these in the correct size:

[www.mudhole.com]

The base of these checks are large enough to fit over the end of your shrink wrap. Then, do you butt wrap, up to the check and you are good to go. No need for epoxy on the check.

Take care

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (24.114.77.---)
Date: January 28, 2015 07:00PM

Thats exactly what i have on the blank. It is not large enough for me, and fits flash just under the edge of trimmed shrink tube. And it is a correct size for the blank. Unfortunately i dont know how to post picture here, but can email to someone who maybe can post it for me.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 08:59PM

find out if there is a larger one, as the one you have now is 2 small, there are different sizes, see if that will work

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2015 02:41AM

Sergiy,
This one is sized to be the same diameter as a size 17 reel seat. This one should be larger than the previous one listed:

[www.mudhole.com]

Date: January 29, 2015 08:18AM

My blank is about 20-22 mm where it has to go... Front grip OD at winding check is 26 mm

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 29, 2015 08:45AM

What about building up a tape ramp? Start with wide tape and work your way narrower building up the tape next to the grip. Then cover it with hard epoxy to smooth it out, then cover with thread and epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2015 10:14AM

If I got you right get a large reel seat arbor Shape a section to fit They come in like 28 MM OD Glue on and wrap thread over Or even paint in case some of it shows

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:20AM by bill boettcher.

Date: January 29, 2015 10:25AM

John, what tape are you talking about? That sounds like a good idea. I will probably end up with buiding up some sort f transition and finishing with epoxy. Sort of epoxy ramp. But i have another identical rod build to do after this one. Still open to ideas for the second one. Will keep you updated what i end up with

Posted by: mick vickers (---.a1a.zs.ncren.net)
Date: January 29, 2015 11:09AM

try this on a scrap blank first, it's not hard but there is a learning curve.
take some rod bond, pro glue or whatever epoxy you use to glue on grips and reel seats, tint that epoxy with the appropriate color of marbling pigment and mix it up. take a spatula or popcicle stick and build a "ramp" from the blank to the OD of the grip where a winding check would go. turn on your lathe and as the blank slowly turn smooth out any imperfections in the "ramp' with your finger dipped in DNA. let the ramp dry and wrap with thread and finish as you would any other thread wrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2015 11:34AM

I have also used finish to make them Just easy on the thread tension

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 29, 2015 12:53PM

Just good quality masking tape, nothing special. I use 3M. As you build up the diameter, narrow the band(s) of tape towards the grip forming a ramp (or whatever shape you like - but keep in mind you need to be able to wrap it with thread). Use a firm setting finish epoxy like threadmaster. Give it some time to fully cure and it will resist the thread cutting into it like some of the softer more flexible epoxies will. Then just wrap it with thread and finish. Integrate a hookkeeper if you like.

Date: January 30, 2015 06:01AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
Found this in photo section. Thats exactly what i need to end up with, maybe no tiger, but epoxy ramp over thread. Would masking tape over vinyl work for this? And then thread...

Date: January 30, 2015 09:56AM

However you decide to approach this, and there are many ways, make sure each sub layer gets sealed. I don't think I would put tape directly over vinyl. Two dissimilar unfixed materials squeezed together over time by thread pressure is a recipe for failure down the road.

In my opinion, this is one of those cases where keeping it simple is probably best.

You could shape many things like a reel seat bushing, cork, or build up tape to get that shape in 1 layer of material instead of multiple materials.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 05, 2015 06:00PM

In answer to what I think your original question is, will epoxy over a vinyl check be a problem, the answer is no. i have many rods where I build epoxy into the area in front of the vinyl winding check, then over the check, and they look great and I've had no problems with anything. It may take a few coats, but no problem, just keep each coat at a reasonable build and you'll be fine.

I just looked at the image that you said "That's exctly what I need. . ." and it looks to me that what is there is an epoxy ramp. Comments above apply fine, just build it up in several steps. Be patient. What happens when you use epoxy over a winding check and build a ramp out of the epoxy is that the winding check disappears. You get a nice shape that looks dark because of the check, but it is glossy and it is hard to define what is under the surface. It looks fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster