I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro wave gutdes
Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:38PM

has anyone used these and what is your opion

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro wave gutdes
Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:43PM

I have built 1 spinning and 1 casting rod using these. I have used the spinning rod and really liked it. The cast is very smooth. I havent made it out to use the casting rod yet.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2015 12:03AM

They are really great at cleaning up the slop. There is a reason that they want you to test cast them before getting them. Once you do, it'll be what you use. I haven't ever seen a post that someone says they're a gimmick after trying them. I initially thought they were a gimmick, because we all know part of the game is catching fishermen and builders with eye candy with key words such as latest technology, etc. But after building a rod with them, I'm a believer.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 10:12AM

Agreed with Jeremy, these guides are "spot-on". It changes the whole dynamic of casting versus a COF guide train. I love'em even more so that running Micro's. You really should find someone that can give you the MicroWave challenge so you can "feel" the difference.

Posted by: Larry Cowden (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 03:59PM

I built my dad's casting rod with them for the first time. Never had experience with them. I can say that static load testing was a little rough in getting them to stay put! Test casting I saw a huge difference in the performance. Tested it out front on the street and had a hard time keeping it in range without hitting cars or overhead lines. I am definitely using them on my musky rod! One last thing, view Flex Coat's video on locking these down with your wraps! It could save you some grief later on. I did before I built the rod. Might even try the spiral placement on the musky rod with them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 06:15PM

heck
if i was driving down the road and saw a lure comming at me I would - you know - probably hit a tree LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 10:08AM

Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> has anyone used these and what is your opion

I love them. Initially thought they were just a gimmick until I tried them. For my personal use I would not use any other guides system on a spinning rod. Some of my clients can't get their "head around them"; but most love them after using trying them out. I don't thing the MicroWave Casting guide sets make as big of difference on cast rods as they do on spinning rods. Just my unbiased opinion.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 10:11AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-70-194-79.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2015 12:28PM

I've built two spinning rods using Microwave guides. I'll be building a spinning rod for myself later this spring, and I will use these guides on my own rod. I think that says enough.

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2015 12:51AM

So the tidal wave set comes with seven 3.18mm OD running guides? On mudhole I see that they only sell 5mm running guides. How would I get more 3.18mm running guides for a 8'6-10ft rod?

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2015 09:22AM

Sid ...... The ring ID is 3.18mm

they sell the extra running guides for that set....they are the 5mm running guides

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2015 05:58PM

Ahh thanks Don! You prob wouldn't recommend these guides for cold water fishing would you? Because of ice build up on these smaller ID rings.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2015 09:28AM

I would not recommend anything smaller than 8mm for icy conditions Sid.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster