I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What fly line to buy for CCS rating?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 08:15PM

I have a blank that is sold as a 9 wt fast action fly blank, and CCS testing indicates a 10.41 ERN. So CCS says it is a 10 wt rod. Looking for a weight forward floating line, should I get a nominal 9 wt line or a 10 wt line? I understand that a 9 weight line will load better at long distances and a 10 wt line will load better at shorter distances, but what to do for going permit and bonefish fishing?

I have a nominal 8 wt Quickline rod that measures 9 weight, and I have an 8 wt weight forward floating line on it and it casts pretty well, no complaints. With no wind 60 foot + casts (measured) are pretty easy. I'm not an expert, but would say that the 55 foot range is in a sweet spot for distance.

Both rods are fast action rods with AA of 70 and 69 respectively.

Can any of you fly experts help with this? A recommendation that just states "go with a 9" will not be nearly as valuable as a recommendation with the reasoning behind it. thanks, Mick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What fly line to buy for CCS rating?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2015 09:12PM

What it's really telling you is that with 30 feet of line beyond the tip of the rod, a 10-weight line will load the rod property for the average caster. So what you need to do is determine what your average casting range is going to be.

If you need to reach out say, 60 to 80 feet, which is very likely, and therefore you may often need to keep 40 to 45+ feet of line past the tip of the rod when casting, a 9-weight line will most likely be better. With that much line beyond the tip, a 10-weight may tend to overload the rod a tad so the longer length of 9-weight line equates to about 30 feet of 10-weight line. Make sense?

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:30PM

Over time fly rods have gotten faster and more powerfull, new materials exc.
I have found that most manufactures weather deliberate or not will call a rod a certain weight and will almost always test out to be a little higher.
and of corse line manufactures do the same you will find lines that are called a certain weight weigh a little heaver or lighter at the same length of line.

What you must do is determin what application you need for the fishing you will be doing.
As you mentioned bonefish normaly they are in gin clear shallow water and they tend to be a little skidish I would want casting distance.
I also take in consideration the type and size of fly or streamer I will be casting because most of all I want a good presentation of that fly, that's what catches.
Time in the back yard trying different things is valuable time spent for learning hands on what does what with what.

Curt

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:33PM

Tom, response is right on! If you are usually casting at distances beyond the 30 feet, go with the 9wt line. In my experience, when using the heavier fly rods, you are rarely casting short distances, and yes....30feet is a short distance!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 07:34AM

Curt is right on when he talks about bones being spooky in calm clear water. That is why most bone fishermen use moderate actioned #8's.

That and the fact that, because of the higher wind resistance of a floating fly line, most overline the rod by one weight. So your "#9" rod (ERN #10) may actually need a #11 line to get any distance.

If very windy and surface is disturbed you may be O.K. with the #9 rod.

For a fly line recommendation I would go with a Wulff Triangle Taper Floating (Blue) # 9. It is heavy enough to load the #9 and it has a fine tip section for a better presentation. Use a long leader.
Good source of tips on bones is Deneki Outdoors Newsletter.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 10:12AM

Like Herb, I like the Wulff triangle taper, but I would suggest the Bermuda Triangle Taper which is a hot weather line and doesn't become spaghetti limp in the heat and the sun. I have a 9' 9 wt. St. Croix Legend Elite and a 9' 9wt. TFO - BVK, both of which are fast action rods, and they both cast the 10 wt. B.T.T. beautifully out to 90' for me. The long front taper allows a relatively gentle presentation at 20'-30' range also. I own a peck basket full of fly lines and the B.T.T. is my favorite floater for stiff, "9 wt." fly rods.

Date: January 16, 2015 02:44PM

Thanks, folks, I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Mick

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 03:12PM

Before buying a line if you know several fly fisherman - or ladies - try to borrow and ty several on the rod to see what you like
Some stores may let you try lines on your rod If you buy the line from them ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 16, 2015 04:18PM

Thanks, Bill, but we are in a bit of a time crack. Going fishing 25th, just starting the rod. The CCS numbers are from the blank. The rod is for my son, and he has made his decision based on the comments above. Probably has ordered the line already. Thanks again to all.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 16, 2015 05:34PM

Mike,
The only real way to know is by trying lines until you find the "sweet" spot.
The blank is part of the equation but the caster's ability and feel are the real test.
Matching rod to line to casting stroke at varying distances.
The right choice will readily become apparent.

Gene

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 05:56PM

Just curious, where will he be fishing. I don't usually think of this time of year for permit and bonefish. But then you could be "down under":) Just didn't know bonefish was a big fishery there.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: January 16, 2015 06:08PM

We will be fishing in the Bahamas. There better be some bones there!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 06:26PM

Even if the line is ordered - try to cast one up and one down in line weight

It is the only way to tell putting line to rod and seeing how the rod casts - the old how does it Feel

Nothing is Written In Stone

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 08:21PM

Darn Michael, I already mentioned I'm near that area. And I mentioned I'd figure bonefish season to be about right for "down under" rather than here. How am I going to salvage this with my foot firmly stuck in my mouth:)

Okay, the weather has been pretty mild and the wind hasn't been bad so you may do okay. I would expect the slant to be more towards trophy sized fish than numbers at this time of the year.

Some tips:
Invest in good quality polarized sunglasses. Seeing the fish before they see you is everything. Long sleeved (to protect from sun burn) shirts in a sky blue/cloud pattern/color would be nice. Columbia brand is the best reasonable priced stuff IMHO. A good hat helps too. Practice your casting. 90 feet into a headwind with only two false casts would be nice (and why I have never paid to go). I wouldn't be too proud to bring a spinning outfit (250-300 yards 8# and 12# class would cover things) and some live shrimp and crabs either. If you value a good fight more than prestige it is an excellent time of the year to target barracuda (at least in the keys). You'd be surprised how they fight in shallow water. If you are game be sure to bring a few extra spools and wire tippet material. You can lose 300 yards of backing in just under 3.274 seconds:)

Typically there are a lot of fish on the flats now and little fishing pressure. It is just the fish are more like barracuda, shark, jack carvelle, etc......and not so much bonefish/permit/tarpon.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: January 17, 2015 10:04AM

Thanks for the tips, Russell. We've done it before, last trip to Turneffe Flats, Belize a couple years ago, but still learning. I've been practicing my casting in a gym, but that has no wind, of course. I'm pretty sure 90 feet into the wind will not be happening for me. I have an 8 wt PacBay Quickline, and it's a real performer. I'm surprised they don't get more attention. Scott has a Rainshadow RX8 8 wt. Both my builds. The new blank is Rainshadow Eternity 2. Yes, we think we are going more for the big ones than numbers, and yes we are taking spining outfits and steel. I've tied a few barracuda flies onto steel with a slip knot so they can be quickly added to a bonefish or permit fly hook bend. We've told the guide that we are not purists, so if we get skunked I don't think he will be averse to getting out some bait. The outfit told us to bring a few tarpon flies, too, so it sounds like there are a few around there at this time of year. Maybe residents of reasonable size. Not sure I want to tangle with the big boys. We have the glasses, sun protection, etc. I've probably tied about 150 flies for the two of us, different colors and sink rates, different patterns. Scott has purchased some that I cannot tie. Now I just have to get the rod done. I think I can make it if I don't worry about the decorative stuff around the grip until after we get back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster