I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji KR Concept # of running guide suggestions
Posted by: Everett Barts (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 06:46PM

Working on a build using the Fuji KR-H Concept spinning and wondering how may running guides I should start with, and how many to order.

The blank is a Rainshadow ETES72ML-CB 7'2" F action ML power. Reel will be a Shimano Static 3000 primarily w/10lb braid.
I'm planning on using a 20H - 10H - 5.5M for the reduction, and 4.5s to the tip (BTBAG and BKTAG).

Really not sure what to shoot for as far as the number of running guides for the initial setup. My initial feeling is 6 isn't going to be enough,
and may fall between 7 or 8. With 8, that would be 11 guides total - 3 reduction + 8 running.

Any input and guidenance is greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji KR Concept # of running guide suggestions
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2015 07:04PM

You won't need a dozen guides.
Just put on a few and do a load test.
Adjust as needed.

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: January 15, 2015 07:09PM

Go to the Batson website and look up the guide spacing. That should give you a starting point, then adjust as needed...

Date: January 15, 2015 09:58PM

Thanks Roger. I found a few recipies at Batson for blanks that closely match the action of this one. I'll use that info as a starting point, and work from there.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:33PM

I don't see ya using more than 6 runners, but it always pays to have extras to play w/ the static setup.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 09:32AM

Casting 10lb braid using a 3000 Series reel may be handled perfectly with a size 16 stripper. That set-up has become the choice of guys using light braid and reels 3000 and smaller. A KL16H, KL8H, KL5.5M is the smoothest group. If you stay with the 20, you're spot on with your selection. Knowing the stripper and reduction train will use approximately 40 inches of the length (guessing 20" to the stripper plus another 20" to the choke), plus a handle of 12 inches = 52 of the 86 inch length. That leaves 34 inches of "running travel". At 5 inch spacing you would need 6 runners. I would order 7 plus top. 2 ea. BKBAG4.5 and 5 ea. BKTAG4.5 with an BLGAT4.5(?) top

Date: January 16, 2015 08:07PM

Jim,

Think I'm on the right track now. Gonna go with the 16->8->5.5 group, BKs at 5" to tip, then static/adjust from there.

Another question. For an initial set up with the 16h in place and the choke 20" beyond, would there be a constant distance between the 16 -?> 8 -?> 5.5
(reguardless of where the 16h lands) to get the bulls-eye? Would think this holds true for the 20->10->5.5 train also. Then again, I guess it depends at
which angle you look down the stripper to align the guides.

Thank you very much for the advice, greatly appreciated.

Date: January 19, 2015 10:10AM

The distances between guides are always "relational" because the heights are known. No matter how far out you stretch the choke from the stripper, the bullseye concept will always space the guides properly. This seems to be the single most difficult thing for builders to understand. The length of the reduction train has NO BEARING on how the guides space RELATIVE TO ONE ANOTHER. This is the basis of reduction train "Groups" and, once understood and applied makes building "the best" reduction train a 2 or 3 minute exercise. We are nearing completion on a revised GPS for KR Concept that involves 3 "fill-in-the-blank" boxes and gives a complete set-up with spacing in one click. And, rather than "reel specific", it is "series specific" and will work for many different reel types.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 19, 2015 03:14PM

Hi Jim,

Will the "old" GPS calculations still be available?

Date: January 19, 2015 03:38PM

Hmmmm. Not sure. The results are based on similar calculations with some additional factors to prevent "skew". Not sure we'll need both and it would lead to endless debate. We'll have to sleep on that one.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 05:19PM

7'2 rod 7 + 1 Start with 8 guides Soft tip 4" from tip to start

Simple Static Test I do like the static test info on Fuji's site

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 20, 2015 10:13PM

Alot of wisdom in this thread. Thanks everyone for the input. Feel like I can confidently configure, adjust and modify a guide train using the KR Concept.
I'm one that needs to understand a concept before implementation; not satisfied with just how to implement a concept.

Time to order up a bunch of guides and start experiementing so I can observe how the different setups interact.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster