I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Warming Box
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 08:24PM

Anyone have any tips on making a warming box for epoxy? It's gets darn cold here in the north this time of year!

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Warming Box
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 08:37PM

Hi,
My finish is in 16 oz bottles. When needed I use a baby bottle warmer. A little water poured in that when heated turns to steam and heats up the finish. I only do the hardener part as that is the thickest. Don't over heat.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 08:37PM

Use your microwave to warm it before use.

Posted by: David Nichols (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 09:39PM

I like to put the containers in a bowl of med. hot water for about 5 to 8 min. before use........ I find this works perfect for me and my applications.

Posted by: David Nichols (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 09:43PM

I forgot to add that by the time I pour and mix, and start applying to the rod, the finish has had a chance to cool down a little bit...its Not hot when it goes on....

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 10:04PM

Although it doesn't get as cold in Sydney Australia in winter 55f late at night. I put mine under a lamp with an incandescent globe for about 3 mins with the globe about 12" above the bottles.That will make both run like water .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 06:24AM

i build in the basement where it's about 50-55 deg. i store my finish upstairs where it;s 70-72 degrees. then into my shirt pocket for 20 min before mixing. don't warm the finish too much or you will have no pot life - starts curing fast at higher temps.

rog

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:50AM

Marc,

You might try candle warming, (hot), plates. I picked up a couple of them at WalMart and they work well.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-128.myvzw.com)
Date: January 15, 2015 12:56PM

Hi Marc,

A small box combined with a lightbulb, in any configuration, would work for what you want. Probably need to play with the bulb size, to get the proper heat level.

Even placing a clip light facing down on an open box, would warm the contents.

Good luck,

Chris

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2015 01:05PM

Are you talking about warming epoxy, or warming the entire rod once the epoxy has been applied?

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 04:12PM

Warming the bottles of epoxy before mixing.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2015 04:13PM

Put them in your pants pockets for about 10 minutes while you're setting everything up. That'll warm them up perfectly.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 05:18PM

Boil some water, put your bottles in a glass or porcelain container and then when the water is ready pour it in to the containers. Leave the bottles in there for 30 seconds and you will have nice warm epoxy. Wait a little bit before mixing so it has a longer pot life. Resin can also be micro-waved, but not a good idea with hardner. only about 10 seconds.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 05:28PM

I've used those coffee warmer plates before, but I also put my epoxy in front of a space heater prior to mixing.....works great.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 12:33AM

every one put there 2 cts in here I will put mine in also , get 2 small bottles 4 OZ type, an use them to work on the rods an save the large bottle as your supply point , un less you are doing many rods at one time , the 4 oz botles are much easyer to heat up , an when the little 4 oz goes dry then heat uo the 16 oz & transfur what you need don't mix the bottles up , the 4 oz bottles will heat much easyer like fit in your pocket ,
candle warmer [ faster] on anything else you would use to warm it up, SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 01:46AM

X10 on the comment by Jess.

If the shop is cool enough to need to warm the epoxy, it is likely that the space heater will be on.

If the space heater is on, I just set the epoxy on a stool in front of the heater while I am prepping things. The glue will be nice and warm and mix easily.

Nothing extra required, since the heater is already running.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster