I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Contamination - again
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 13, 2015 08:23PM

G'day Guys,

Further to my post a little while back I think I may have isolated the source of my contamination. I think it is the CP I am using.

I did 2 wraps a little while back, one with CP and one without. The one without CP was fine and the other had fisheyes galore.

I'm not sure how this has happened. I use the same brush and wash it each time with CP. Unless I have somehow got something on the brush and then introduced it into the CP.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? And do you guys decant a little CP each time and then discard the remainder or just work straight from the bottle?

Cheers

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Contamination - again
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 13, 2015 08:36PM

I've done it both ways without problems. When the bottle gets down some I then decant some into a plastic mixing cup.

One thing that I did find was how much the CP will settle out when sitting for awhile. Without much mixing the top is still quite "watery". I've now started rotating my CP bottle in an old rod dryer check with a rubber chuck. I leave the mixer in the horizontal position to achieve better solution mixing. I may start this early in the day when I know I'll be using it so it is thoroughly mixed when the time comes. When pouring out a small amount to use i find it much thicker then I ever thought it would be and there is virtually no bubbles.

Date: January 13, 2015 11:00PM

G'day Chester,

I did wonder if I wasn't mixing it properly. Would not mixing CP properly before applying cause fisheyes?

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 13, 2015 11:04PM

I've never had a problem with fisheyes not matter how I mixed or not mixed.

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 08:05AM

Jason:
Never had any issues with Flex-Coat C-P or epoxy finish, I store C-P up side down and shake well before applying to thread. Let dry for 24 hours and apply finish. Never had any fisheye problems. Sound like something is contaiminating the thread, not the C-P.

Rich Kline C.R.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 08:23AM

Jason,
No fisheyes with no CP.
Fisheyes with CP.

Take the bottle of CP and pitch it into the garbage.

Either use no CP, or get a fresh bottle of CP. Certainly something is in the bottle, so pitch it and keep it from doing further harm.

Be safe

p.s.
I always follow the policy of pitching a product if I ever discover an issue with the product. One mistake due to product quality is bad. Two mistakes, because I didn't throw it away, is on my back.

It doesn't matter what the product is - finish, paint, tool, procedure. If it is bad - throw it away, eliminate it, and you will never be troubled by that particular item again.

You have done the detective work. You don't need to concern with why or how the product became bad. Suffice to say, it is bad; so pitch it and move on.

Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: January 14, 2015 09:38AM

I can't say I have had a fish eye issue but did have a problem with a white haze which I attributed to not mixing the C P so I started shaking the bottle but found that caused bubbles never thought of rotating thr bottle thanks for the advise.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 09:44AM

Also it sounds like some are putting the brush into the bottle
I would not Always pour it into a cup Just incase it is the brush

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 12:53PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jason,
> No fisheyes with no CP.
> Fisheyes with CP.
>
> Take the bottle of CP and pitch it into the
> garbage.
>
> Either use no CP, or get a fresh bottle of CP.
> Certainly something is in the bottle, so pitch it
> and keep it from doing further harm.
>
> Be safe
>
> p.s.
> I always follow the policy of pitching a product
> if I ever discover an issue with the product.
> One mistake due to product quality is bad. Two
> mistakes, because I didn't throw it away, is on my
> back.
>
> It doesn't matter what the product is - finish,
> paint, tool, procedure. If it is bad - throw it
> away, eliminate it, and you will never be troubled
> by that particular item again.
>
> You have done the detective work. You don't need
> to concern with why or how the product became bad.
> Suffice to say, it is bad; so pitch it and move
> on.

Roger,

Wiser words were never spoken!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: January 14, 2015 06:26PM

G'day Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I'll pitch the bottle of CP and start again. I think in future I will always decant it into something else too, rather than use it from the bottle.

Cheers

Jason

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster