I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Selling Tennessee Handles
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 10, 2015 08:18PM

I am running in to more guys that don't even know what a TN handle is anymore.

Do you guys find people still open or interested in them at all?

I have no doubt that a custom TN handle is the best thing you can put on a spinning rod, weather it's full or split grip style. Any tips on promoting them?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2015 08:20PM by Marc Morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Selling Tennessee Handles
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2015 08:20PM

Marc,
All that I can say is that I currently have a 40 rod build underway that all call for this style handles.

Some folks love them, and others not so much.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2015 08:38PM

There have been several articles on the TN handle in the past couple years of RodMaker that puts a new twist on the handle. Vinyl coated, nylon discs for rigidity and sensitivity, cord wrapped TN handles, etc. Sometimes all it takes is putting a new twist on an old idea to make the handle seem more modern and arguably even better than the already excellent design.

I'd push the simplicity. Light weight. Adjustable reel location, etc., etc. to your customers. The TN offers them a lot of options.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 10, 2015 09:13PM

Do you guys have a preference between the classic full TN handle or a split style handle?

I have stuck with traditional styles, but am really considering the split style for a few builds - thinking I'll keep the reel mounting portion approx. 7" long to allow for some reel location adjustment.

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: January 10, 2015 10:59PM

I have used the full and split grip handles on ultralight to medium/ light rods up to 6-1/2' long. Right now I use a split grip with full diameter (1-1/4 to 1-1/2") cork rings. I attach the reel with silicon tape ( tommy tape, stretch and seal ). This has been the most comfortable for me to fish with.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 02:00AM

Marc, I'm with you on the Tennessee handles. Handle legnth should vari with rod legnth up to 9" or more. I don't think you have to promote their value to a serious sportsman. They'll ask for it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2015 02:27PM

I would suggest educating them.!
Build two identical rods and let them play with both.
feel the difference in sensitivity, weight, balance, bit detection, ability to mount the reel in different locations allowing for micro adjustments for comfort and balance. ECT.

Posted by: Nick Griffith (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2015 10:30PM

I have seen an increase with people going with a carbon fiber material style over the cork. I have always preferred a TN handle made with cork for all reasons mentioned above. Plus, the carbon tends to get really slick when wet.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2015 04:27PM

Odd, as none of mine get slick when wet - they actually become more tactile. Have you actually tried one of these handles, skinned with carbon?

BTW - the carbon skin is usually over a urethane foam core, not cork. Although cork could be skinned but that would negate at least part of the advantage of that style grip.

If you need more information on these type grips and their properties, the Volume 10 #6 issue of RodMaker Magazine introduced them to the rod building craft. There is a full article on both carbon skinning and forming urethane cores within that issue.

Posted by: Nick Griffith (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 10:03PM

I meant as the actual handle material as far as Cork vs. Carbon, not carbon skin over cork. Yes, the best I have found for the carbon skin is the North Fork Carbon as far as getting a good grip. Sorry for the confusion Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster