I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Greatest thing since sliced bread!
Posted by: Raymond Adams (50.59.191.---)
Date: January 07, 2015 12:46AM

Ok, there are many GREAT rod building tools and gizmos but which one do YOU think you think you could not live without or would cry if it was taken away.
Hands down, mine would be my Flex-Coat slip-clutch. Finish work would not be the same if I did not have one and every rod gets finish so every rod would be impacted.

Other favorites are my Doc Ski weaving jigs, my Wonder Weaver, my and cork slicing jigs. These are not as indispensable as my Flex-Coat SlipClutch but life would be hard to handle if they were gone.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Greatest thing since sliced bread!
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.236.---)
Date: January 07, 2015 08:43AM

My drill press used for turning cork and foam ramps.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: January 07, 2015 12:30PM

Dental pick!

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: January 07, 2015 01:01PM

Dream Reamers

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-206.myvzw.com)
Date: January 07, 2015 02:21PM

Raymond

Amen, brother.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 07, 2015 02:24PM

For me, a couple things come to mind. One would be my guide alignment tool. I made it from an old spinning reel. I cut away most of the gear case body and left the foot, stem and the front face portion that has the hole for the rotor. I use this for sight aligning guides on both spinning and casting rods. Aligning guides has always been a challenge for me and this “tool” works great. I tried one using just a reel foot with a notched stem, but it didn’t work too well.The “sight hole” on this one gives me a vertical window that allows me to center all components, reel seat, blank and guides.
Another “gadget”, would be my Rod Holding Fixture Setup that I use for measuring rod specs (RDA or CCS). I used to have trouble getting consistent, repeatable readings when doing RDA (or CCS) measurements, so I made a simple fixture from an old spinning reel. Its basically a fixed reel foot that I can install a rod onto and clamp the rod securely with the reel seat lock nut. Kinda hard to explain, so I posted a couple of pics in the photo section.
Anyway, not only does it give me consistency/repeatability, but allows me to measure a rod much the way its used on the water. I concede that my measurements won’t correlate with anyone else’s, but I’ve long given up on getting usable ratings input from other sources, so I use “my” system to give me the relative ratings for my rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 02:41PM by jim spooner.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 07, 2015 04:27PM

3 things: Magnifiers, Razor Blades and Electricity!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 07, 2015 04:57PM

Magnifier lamps & drug store cheapo reading glasses. Without these game over!
Rog

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 07, 2015 06:48PM

Hello,

Great thread!

For me it's the small everyday items that we don't seem to notice until we need to buy more:

1. Paper towels
2. Isopropyl alcohol
3. Line level (I use on blanks to make sure each end is level before applying finish)
4. Automotive masking tape
5. Razor blades/hobby knife

p.s. x2 on electricity!

-chad

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2015 06:58PM

My Midi lathe. As I specialize in custom fly rod grips, using exotic woods and materials.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster