I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New to Rod Building and New to this Site
Posted by: Michael Williams (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 06, 2015 07:20PM

First off let me say this, after scrolling thru son of the topics here, I feel like I may be getting in wayyyyy over my head. But you know what, I like the challenge.
Im an absolute rookie at this rod building game. I wanna do it, to make my own rods and get that sense of accomplishment when I catch some fish on gear that I made. I already paint a lot of my own crankbaits, spoons and other tackle and thought, why not make some rods for yourself.

So here are a few questions I have for you guys:

What basic tools do I need and what are the minimums I can get away with?
Seems like Mudhole is THE place to purchase necessary items for rod making?
Outside of rod blanks, guides, reel seats and handles and thread, what other basic items are needed?

I probably havent asked enough questions about what basic items and tools are needed, so please feel free to educate me.
I dont want a huge investment in this as I'll only be doin a few rods a year but I wantn to make sure I have the right tools to get the jib done and done right.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to Rod Building and New to this Site
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 06, 2015 07:36PM

Mike, this wont answer your questions but consider taking one of Mud Hole's 2 day rod building classes. You go home with a finished rod. tons of information, and a hand wrapping jig and support. And ALL of your questions will be answered at the class.

Buzz

Posted by: Michael Williams (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 06, 2015 08:06PM

Buzz,
Thanks for the response and after looking into the upcoming dates, the closest location is Milwaukee on March 7 but unfortunately I will be out of town that weekend for work.

Mike

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 06, 2015 08:30PM

if you can find some one nearby you, talk to them & see if you can set in on there rod building, it will help you get started also I think there is a lot of info out there,
MudHole has a DVD on rod bulding . also there is a lot of suppliers out there besides Mud hole , check the left side of this forum sheet , there is a group of shops listed
there , don't get me wrong, I do about 95% of my busness at mud hole , there great source of info also , YOU TUBE is also a great place , on the frist build go cheep an give it to some kid , on the frist couple of builds stay cheep , make your mistakes there , [ there will be some ] SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2015 09:03PM

You will need razor blades, masking tape and a few common tools like a file and sand paper etc
Unless you are handy with wood, and can make your own, you will need to buy a rod wrapper.
Don't listen to people who tell you you can use the telephone book and a cardboard box!
Experts can wind guides using nothing but their bare hands and holding the spool of thread in their fingers, but to start you want everything on your side.

Mud Hole has a kit that includes wrapper, and instructions at about $40.00. They also offer a rod dryer for about $40.00.
There are several packages that include things like masking tape, grease pencil, epoxy etc. from about $20.00 to $40.00...
There is a deluxe version of the wrapper that includes the best of the basic tool packages with epoxy, thread, and thread finish for about $70.00
Before Xmas they had a " Full Meal Deal " that was the wrapper, dryer, tools and finish etc. and I believe also included a reaming wand...
Whatever you decide on, you might want to order a cork reaming wand or two.

For a first attempt, I would buy a rod kit. Something cheap and generic like a 7ft. ML spinning rod.
Once you decide on which kit, ask their technical people for advise re the reamers and anything else you will need.
Good Luck.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 07, 2015 08:37AM

Mike are you from Wisconsin? If so it wouldn't be too hard to meet and go over some basics. If not I can send you one of the Mud Hole DVDs on instruction that covers a lot of your questions. un-hide your email or email direct from my contact information.
Buzz

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 07, 2015 09:43AM

Michael,
look at the 'how we do it' videos by flex coat.
Its on youtube.
You can learn a lot there about simple techniques using basic equipment.
get a good book before you start: like Tom Kirkmans.
Visit this years EXPo and go to the basic class on rodbuilding there.
Most stuff you can make yourself and most likely better than you can buy until you get up there in the Renzetti area of things.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 07, 2015 11:10AM

Wow we get no love!! lol..

Here is a link we did found online right now on youtube on how to build a rod! [www.youtube.com]

9 Chapters to go through!!

Good luck! Btw, its not as overwhelming as you think.. Just dive in a try.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2015 03:57PM

lol ryan....

yes, Mudhole seemingly has a huge stock of items a rodbuilder would need but there are others too which should be considered. they may not have everything in stock for everyone all of the time, but they might have everything YOU need ready to ship and some like Utmost can get it asap if not in stock. Since you're just beginning, Mudhole might be just the answer. Once you get some experience and learn what you need, you can pick and choose. i don't think i've ordered one item yet from mudhole but i've come very close several times.

some great advice on here posted above so far. go for it. it's a great craft/hobby. another thing that's great is in my experience, every business i've dealt with (almost all from the list to the left of this site's page) has been friendly on the phone and has suggested just what I need when asking them for advice on components. great service from Utmost, Donart, Schneiders, Hook and Hackle, Bingham and Angler's Workshop, to name the ones still sponsors.

(I just realized one of those is no longer a sponsor but still a great resource)

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 03:58PM by eric zamora.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2015 05:07PM

You don't need much to start with. What you need is directly related to how much "looks" matters. I'm not talking poor quality as much as bling. If you have no problem with simple and understated you likely have most everything you need already.

You need something to rest the blank on while you spin it with your fingers. You can cut a vee notch into the end of a couple of 1" by 4"'s, line with velvet (contact cement in place),. and make some stands easily.

You need something to tension the thread. The old method was put the spool of thread in a coffee cup and run the thread through the pages of the phone book. Open to page 50, insert thread and close for light tension, make it page 200 for more tension. Or you can buy something that clamps on the edge of a table and has an axle for the spool of thread along with a spring and wing nut to adjust tension. That is a tool that is handy to have for quick field repairs if you decide to buy a rod wrapper later. Look through the picture section and you will get a ton of ideas.

You will need a few tools. Razor blades are a must. Masking tape is required. Alcohol to remove epoxy is needed (some to drink helps too:). Lots of paper towels...disposable gloves...old newspapers....a place to work (both indoors and outdoors). Tape measure, grease pencil, things you are likely to have around the house. A lot depends on the parts you buy to build the rod with. For example, a reamer might be required if you want cork grips but might not be if EVA (foam) grips are okay for now. You will need a few materials. You need a guide wrap coating and most use epoxy. Many brands but flex coat or threadmaster would be what I'd start with. You will need an adhesive...again most use epoxy. I think rod bond is a solid choice. You will need a stick of hot melt glue for putting tips on the rod. You will need thread for attaching the guides....regular black nylon in size A (best) or size D (easiest).....when used on a natural graphite/black colored blank hides a lot and looks good. If desired add a small trim band with gold or silver metallic thread. Look at rods you'd like to own and see what colors you like. Best to order everything at once as shipping costs will add up.

Building is simple if plain jane is okay. The fish don't care about looks. Deciding what blanks/parts to buy is the important thing. If that was simple ever bass fisherman would have the same brand and model of rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steve Stansberry (206.246.9.---)
Date: January 11, 2015 05:47PM

I too am new to this show Mike and share your thoughts but this site has been my go to place, I've done business with Mudhole and Schneiders both listed on the left and have had no complaints however I will favor Schneiders as he is is almost in my backyard and I can get my orders quicker however Mudhole is who got me started. This site has a great group of contributors with really cool ideas like they say just dive in and hit it a lick---as I've been told if your not making mistakes, your not doing anything--nor will you learn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster