I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly line analizer
Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2015 09:56PM

I inharited all of my fathers fishing everything, fly tyiing,equip. tons of fethers hooks rods reals rod building tools
ill get to the point, all his fyl lines are well taken care of cleaned every year and put into cigar boxes for storage
43 lines in all I know their from 3wt. to 8wt. in every configuration, he had a system I don't know of for
non of the lines are marked what weight.

at one time I read a article about a Dr Bills fly line analyzer great looking tool just what I need for this situation.

does this devise still exist and ware can I get one?

Thanks for all your help.

Curt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly line analizer
Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2015 10:22PM

Dr. Bills fly line analyzer is a homemade tool to check fly lines. I actually threw mine out because it was easier to measure out the first 30ft of a fly line and just coil it up on a gram scale that I bought for under $20. One gram equals 15.4323584 grains. That being said here is a chart with what fly lines should weight in Grams.

1wt 54-66 best at 60
2wt 74-86 best at 80
3wt 94-106 best at 100
4wt 114-126 best at 120
5wt 134-146 best at 140
6wt 152-168 best at 160
7wt 177-193 best at 185
8wt 202-218 best at 210
9wt 230-250 best at 240
10wt 270-290 best at 280
11wt 318-342 best at 330
12wt 368-392 best at 380

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2015 08:13AM

Dr. Bill's system allowed you to match the lines to their proper AFTMA weights without having to weigh them or have to acquire a scale for that purpose. Simplicity has always been the name of his game.

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: January 02, 2015 11:09AM

Jimmy,
Are those weights just for floating lines?
With sinking lines having varying densities it would seem there is no way to just weigh them to determine line weight?

Thanks

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2015 09:02PM

Thanks Jimmy that's just the ticket.

Paul the sinking tip well sort of is made denser by the line being woven much tighter than a floating line, the diameter of the line is much smaller made with the same amount of material, think water displacement

it displaces less water making it heaver than water.

Curt

Date: January 02, 2015 11:09PM

Not to argue with you Tom because you know a lot more about rod building then I for sure. But isn't Dr. Bills Fly line analyzer basically a sliding weight scale like they use in the doctors office? I think he even refers to it as a grain scale if I remember correctly. I feel that it is much easier to buy a gram scale and use math to figure out what it is in grains. Plus you don't have to have his crazy contraption laying around your house. I use the same gram scale I use for baking to weigh my fly lines so I duel purpose it that way. If you want to build your own Dr Bills fly line analyzer here is the URL : [www.common-cents.info]

Paul this will work for sinking lines as well. You need that much grain weight to load the rod correctly. The only X factor here is whether or not the manufacture decided to stay in the specs of the rod weights standards. Usually it will be in the higher range of what is acceptable. Sometimes you will buy a five weight and actually get a six wt line. Another thing to read on the box is the head length on the box. Some manufactures will now quote that it has a 20ft instead of 30ft head. I still think this is just another way to call there 6wt line a 5wt line lol. Also remember that sinking lines aren't meant to keep the whole line up in the air with alot of false casting. Sinking lines work best by stripping off as much line as you want to cast out. Airalzing the head of the line only and shooting the running line out as the head bolts to your casting location. So that said if you only load the rod with the first 20 feet like the box says then you are casing the correct grain weight for that rod. Switch and Spey rods do follow other rules then these.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 11:12PM by Jimmy Crain Jr.

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: January 03, 2015 12:21AM

Jimmy Crain Jr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Paul this will work for sinking lines as well. You
> need that much grain weight to load the rod
> correctly. The only X factor here is whether or
> not the manufacture decided to stay in the specs
> of the rod weights standards. Usually it will be
> in the higher range of what is acceptable.
> Sometimes you will buy a five weight and actually
> get a six wt line. Another thing to read on the
> box is the head length on the box. Some
> manufactures will now quote that it has a 20ft
> instead of 30ft head. I still think this is just
> another way to call there 6wt line a 5wt line lol.
> Also remember that sinking lines aren't meant to
> keep the whole line up in the air with alot of
> false casting. Sinking lines work best by
> stripping off as much line as you want to cast
> out. Airalzing the head of the line only and
> shooting the running line out as the head bolts to
> your casting location. So that said if you only
> load the rod with the first 20 feet like the box
> says then you are casing the correct grain weight
> for that rod. Switch and Spey rods do follow other
> rules then these.

Thank you for the explanation, I didnt understand how the line weight worked before

Date: January 03, 2015 08:13AM

Jimmy,

Yes, but you don't have to buy the scale - pennies are used to note the weight against the chart. It's not at all a crazy contraption. It's simple, Inexpensive and it works. Whether you chose to spend more money or get more involved than need be is entirely up to you. Dr. Bill's entire idea was to make things more simple, less expensive and easier. He certainly accomplished that.

Not all line makers adhere to the original AFTMA standards any more, which further muddies the water. But this also makes Dr. Hanneman's entire system just that much more important and helpful these days.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: January 03, 2015 04:16PM

JMHO but buying a scale to do what you can do with Dr. Bill's gadget which costs next to nothing and requires that you only need to match up a couple numbers is like the people who will bother to try and weigh their epoxy finish part by part rather than just draw the stuff up in simple syringes to equal amounts. But, JMHO.

Date: January 04, 2015 01:25AM

I guess to each their own. I would rather have a small Gram scale sitting in my Kitchen that I use for other things, then a bent up coat hanger with two pieces of cut up pizza boxes hanging from it. The plus is that its free. That is unless you have not ordered pizza in awhile or have nothing but plastic hangers in your closet. Not to say I didn't build one myself. I did and I used it for a bit. But once I realized I could use my scale that was already sitting in the kitchen that hot mess went in the trash.

Date: January 04, 2015 07:15AM

Most folks don't have a scale.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 07, 2015 07:32PM

Effective fly casting results from the harmony of three components: rod, line, and fly caster. I myself would hesitate to make a recommendation without knowing the environmental conditions and the species of fish the rod would be used for, the type of presentation the line would be expected to make, and the level of proficiency of the fly caster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster