I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

nick in a fiberglass surf blank
Posted by: jim jackson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2014 08:49PM

I had done a 300mm closed wrap with 8 thread colors on the butt of a 10' fiberglass (3-10oz rated) surf rod. After finishing and admiring the seemingly wonderful work, I noticed that SOMEHOW i had spent 3 days wrapping on an axis 30 degrees off center from the reel seat. What a screw up. How I did this, I do not know. I figured it was easier to remove the aluminum alps reel seat than rewrap. I tried ladeling boiling water on it and twisting, but could not get it loose and scarred the seat, so I used my dremel to cut off the seat. HOWEVER, because the seat was a snug fit to the blank, with minimal arboring at the base, I NICKED THE BLANK. it is about 1mm deep, not superficial. It does not penetrate the wall. I do not know the wall thickness of this blank.

My hope is that 1. it is a fiberglass surf blank, very sturdy, and 22mm diameter (70mm circumference) at the nick. 2. another reel seat will sit on the nick, enveloping the entire area in epoxy, minimizing flexion in this area.

Is this blank ruined and destined to snap with normal use (which is heavy chunking and big fish fighting)? Is there a way i can test it before proceeding with the build? (i am not selling this rod, my plan was to give it to a friend).
Thanks! happy new year, Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nick in a fiberglass surf blank
Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2014 10:07PM

Does it look like its into the blank fibers or does it look like the paint job as flaked off? If it looks like just paint I would say build it and see what happens. If you dont have the end cap sealed up all the way you could slide another section of blank up there and glue it in place. It will take some of the flex out of the handle but it won't break. You could also buy a reel seat one size larger since you have it off already and slip a small section of another blank over the top and glue it in place.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2014 01:44AM

Jim,
As long as the rod is not finished, and if you feel at all uncomfortable about the integrity of the rod, just get a similar wall thickness piece of blank and insert it up into the blank from the butt of the rod.

Select the size and taper of the extra piece to fit by the nick by a couple of inches. Also, have it extend back past the nick by a couple of inches. Give the repair piece a good coating of epoxy, as well as inside the blank and fully insert the repair piece into the blank for a jam fit.

If the nick had caused a slight loss in the strength of the rod, the repair piece would more than make up for it. Since the repair piece is in the butt of the rod, you will notice virtually no difference when using the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2014 10:57AM

I don`t know if you spined the rod before the build but if you did it will now be off that same 30 deg.It wll effect the torque,especially if it`s a one piece rod

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2014 05:24PM

Don't worry about the spine. Its not an issue. I assume the nick is to the butt end of the seat as the blank is closer t this part of the seat. I personally would not worry about it. the seat you say is a tight fit and will act as an outer sleeve to strengthen the area. I seriously doubt the blank will be flexing that much on the butt side of the reel seat.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: jim jackson (143.111.84.---)
Date: December 31, 2014 06:37PM

Thank you, gentlemen, for your input. It seems like it is worthwhile to move forward, which makes me feel better. We'll see how it does! Thanks again. Jim

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.236.---)
Date: December 31, 2014 10:11PM

Right on , Fred.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 01, 2015 10:03PM

The spine is somewhere to build if you have a really straight blank. I always build on the straightest axis. So do most of the name brand rod builders/manufactures. I'v messed up and somehow moved my reel seat from where I wanted it while the epoxie was drying. No bigs just build the rod no one but you will know. That is the hardest part to get over, if your anything like me. I had a habbit of showing friends and my wife new rods that I have built. All of them would say how beautful it was and there wasn't anything bad about it. Then I would fly off the handle and say well what about this and what about that...... They would say Oh I didn't even notice that or as my wife says why do you even ask me your already your own worst critic. I have found not to sweat the small stuff even though I want to scream from the mountain tops about it. Do yourself a favor and browse the rods over at bass pro or cabelas. Look them over really good you will find that even a $800 rod will have way more flaws then anything I would ever let out the door.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster