I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP and micro guide wraps
Posted by: Conner Pascual (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2014 07:12PM

Hi guys,

Id hate to add another cp question to the list.. I'm finishing up my first KR rod build on a saltwater rod (15lb line, 1.5 oz lead) and want to know if anyone has had issues with CPing micro guide wraps? I've got regular A nylon over 4.5 runners. I'm doing the locking wraps but I don't like how dark the nylon gets without cp. But I like the idea of epoxy fully penetrating the wraps, given that the guide foot and wrap is significantly small. Is no CP an absolute must on micro guide wraps? Or is it like any other build where it won't matter? Thanks guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP and micro guide wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2014 07:30PM

Won't matter, but the thread will turn darker.

Re: CP and micro guide wrap
Date: December 29, 2014 09:57PM

Thanks tom, I understand thread darkens when no cp is used, hence why I want to cp to preserve the nylon threads original color. I'm curious if the use of cp hinders the guide wraps from securing such a small guide foot and wrap. My assumption is no, the use of a locking wrap and cp will not hinder how secure the micro guide feet will be. Last thing I want is for a micro guide to pop out lol. It seems like no cp is ideal for the epoxy penetration, but I don't have an NCP source of thread locally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 09:58PM by Conner Pascual.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2014 10:34PM

Conner,
The answer is very simple and easy to discover.

Take a test blank and put on some micro guides. Then, put CP on 1/2 of the guides, and then finish on all of the guides. Put on a couple of coats as you would do, if you were finishing a rod.

Let it age for a week, and then go and remove each of the guides. Make a determination if the guides with CP are any easier to remove from the blank than those guide which did not have CP applied.

Also, take a couple of each of the no cp as well as the cp coated guides, and attempt to physically tear it off the blank with no cutting of the thread, See if there is any tendency for one of the guides that has had CP applied to be able to be moved more easily than one of the guides that has not had the CP applies.

When you reach your conclusion, you will have the answer to your question.

By the way, if you don't like the color of a particular nylon thread with no CP applies, start with a lighter color, so that the thread will have the final finished color that you like - even with no application of CP.

If you would like to share the results of your empirical testing, that would be great as well.

Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2014 08:33AM

The thread Holds The Guide onto the blank Anything you put over is for protection of the thread
You could use NCP thread no CP needed It just does not look as nice as regular thread with CP

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 31, 2014 03:11AM

Thanks for the replies guys!

Roger, thanks for the explanation, I appreciate your suggestion to conduct my own research and run some tests. Unfortunately I don't have the time, so I'll go with my gut and assume it's ok to use CP. I have a couple of heavy saltwater casting rods that held up fine, just wondered if doing tiny wraps on micro guides is any different. Seems like it won't be

Bill, thank you. I went ahead and bought a handful of thread to make my own color stick and see what I like best. I've never used NCP thread so I'll have to see how it compared to nylon with CP. For the record, I'm using pro wraps olive and taupe, and deciding between NCP and CP'd nylon.

Side question, I put 3 coats of flex coat CP on my guide wraps. I apply a liberal amount and wick off most of the excess while the rod turns. Usually wait 8-12 hr between coats. 24hr after final coat. Everything looks fine after the finish is applied. However, I fish at night with a high powered headlight and notice that my wraps have a milky appearance to it. Can't see it in daylight, only under my headlight. Is this normal for flex coat CP to show up under concentrated light? Or am I doing something wrong? I'll be trying the 50/50 mic I read about and see if that helps

Thanks guys, have a happy new year!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2014 12:51PM

Conner,
On your next attempt, just put one coat of CP on the thread and see how it goes.

Be safe

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.16.---)
Date: April 29, 2017 11:15AM

Conner, I know this is three years old, but just wanted to say I've seen the same thing! I have rods that I can see "defects" under the lamp I use with my wrapper that simply cannot be found in normal lighting situations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster