I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

27x adjustment question
Posted by: John Shear (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 01:47PM

Hi all,
I like Tom's 27x method of getting initial guide placement for my spinning rods. But for my rods that use 4-6 lb. line, or maybe even ones for braid, I'd like to go one size smaller with the stripper guide. But doing so places the stripper guide too far out. On my current crappie jigging rod I'm planning for a Shimano 1000 reel which would call for a size 20 (Minima) guide but I'm thinking a 16 would be sufficient for 6 lb. line. Is there a guideline for how I should determine a choker location that puts the 16 at a more reasonable distance??

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 27x adjustment question
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 03:00PM

John,
When you say too far; how much distance are you speaking of?

As long as the stripper guide is placed before any major rod bending occurs; you will be fine. No issue in going out to 30 inches or so, if the basic blank is not bending a great deal at that location.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2014 03:33PM

If you go with a smaller guide, you might try using a higher guide which will pull that distance back in. Leave the choker guide where it is and just adjust the butt (stripping) guide per whatever you need to do.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.236.---)
Date: December 28, 2014 06:04PM

It is my opinion that with light lines like you are talking about the issue is more about distribution of stress on the blank than casting performance. A lot like what Roger was implying. Do it so that the stress distribution is satisfied, and see if casting performance meets your needs. I expect it will. I think we tend to overthink this stuff.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 06:45PM

John,

I am building a spinning rod with Fuji K Series guides, (High Frame, Small Rings), right now. I emailed Jim Ising, Anglers Resource, the other day with a similiar question. Here is what Jim suggested I try:

Put it, (the stripper), at 20 inches and then place the choke guide at 20 inches beyond the stripper. Position the other two reduction guides to bullseye between the choke and stripper guides. After that you may want to push the choke out to where the BOTTOM of the choke guide ring lines up with the TOP edge of the last reduction guide ring. This is where I always start with a this set up and then tweak from there. Sometimes I don’t need to move anything.

Maybe this will help.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 06:45PM by Donald R Campbell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster