I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex-coat brush cleaner
Posted by: David Nichols (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2014 11:12PM

I know that flex-coat makes their own......but I was wondering if there is something one could use found around the house that could be
used just as good or better - any ideas ??

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex-coat brush cleaner
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 07:16AM

Xylene - although very toxic, works very well as a brush cleaner for flex coat.

Be safe

p.s.
The best idea that I have used for man years, is to never clean a brush. Rather use disposable brushes that cost about 5 cents. With guide coating finish, the brush is really not used to spread the finish per say. The brush is just used as a carrier to get the finish to the rod. The rotating rod, does an excellent job of smoothing and leveling the finish, so brush work as in the case of painting a house is really not applicable in applying finish.

I go to the store into the childrens section and buy disposable brushes by the hundred for a few cents a piece. Then, I use one brush for each coat of finish on a rod. The cost of the brush is less than it would be for the cost of brush cleaning solvent and no hassle.
Finish the coat, and the brush goes into the trash. No clean up and no bother.

Also the flex coat brushes that are disposable are sold at a very reasonable price as well.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 09:40AM

Hi,

Flex Coat Brush Cleaner is the best for me. It works. This product has no negatives for me, no smell, does not evaporate and keeps my brush clean and in use until the hairs fall out due to age and use. The open bottle sits on my bench all year in my den. I could not do that with smelly products.

After using my finish brush I wipe off excess finish, rinse brush in 91% iso alcohol, wipe out excess iso alcohol and hang the brush in the Flex Coat cleaner. When I need the brush I wipe off excess cleaner solution, then rinse brush in 91% iso alcohol and wipe off excess. Now brush is ready for finish. A brush will last me over a year and sees much usage.

A great product!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 09:56AM

Capt Neil

I use a small mayonase jar so I can cap it In case it gets knocked over
Mid temp lacquer thinner or acatone

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 02:02PM

most craft stores have the cheep brushes by the 100 PK , also some big box stores have them in a large PK [ 100 ] the name begins with
W [ it is in most towns I belive ] SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 03:35PM

One thing that I have that works exceedingly well is called a Silicoil. It is a brush cleaning tank. Basically a wide mouth jar that has a flat top metal coil in it that is submerged in the cleaning solution. When you have squeezed the epoxy out of your brush you wipe it back and forth across the coil and your brush will come out as good as new. Available at most art supply stores. Had mine for over 35 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster