I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

weave before or after handles?
Posted by: John Shear (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 26, 2014 11:50PM

Hi folks. From my previous post, you probably know I'm doing a 6 axis 3D chevron (first time) on my latest spinning rod. It's a green and yellow Packers theme. On my practice blank, I'm adding a G fingernail tattoo also. I'm not sure that's going to look good so I'm contemplating trying my first weave to make the G logo. I have an Easy Weave jig I got cheap from a guy, and I've used a graphics package to make the pattern on a square grid.
The thing is, I already have the handle and reel seat installed on the rod so I wonder if that makes it harder to weave. Is it generally better to do a weave before
installing the handle and seat or doesn't it matter?

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weave before or after handles?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2014 09:50AM

Your choice John.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: December 27, 2014 11:07PM

I've always done my weaves after the handle has been installed.
I figure there is less chance of messing up the weave if the handle is on already.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 01:30PM

If you finish the Weave and Epoxy it there is no chance of hurting the weave during installation of the grip

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 02:30PM

if you have a fore grip on the rod, it will have to have an enlarged hole to fit over the weave or the larger BUTT section , you can fill it in with tape an epoxie but you will need a larger winding ckeck to cover the added space around the rod I think ,
it is your choice you are makeing it, SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2014 03:21PM

I agree with dave.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2014 05:35PM

If I'm doing alot of threadwork in the split between rear grips, I do the threadwork and 1 coat of finish first. Then install the butt piece from the butt., the other from the tip. I use a section of a 3pc blank shoved into the working blank to support it and give room for the left loom off the working blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster