I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow RX8 - similar blanks
Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: December 05, 2014 07:25PM

Hi!
I recently bought, wrapped and fished a Rainshadow RX8 9' 4wt fly blank. Paired with a fairly heavy Alps reel seat, lite wire snake guides and a 4.5 oz. reel the rod is a superb casting instrument. I also love its delicate tip and the ability handle very fine leaders. Also power in the butt is certainly not lacking.
There is a "but" however. The rod (and naturally the blank itself) is somewhat tip-heavy. I did not measure its swingweight, but would guess it is quite high. Now the big question to those of you, who are familiar with this blank, is: if money were no object, what other blank do you guys think would have similar action, tip and power, but lower swingweight (feeling lighter in the hand when casting)?

Were it not for the tip-heaviness I would not have wanted to look any further.

Cheers,
Michal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow RX8 - similar blanks
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2014 11:28PM

I personally have been overjoyed with the performance of the Bingham Ent SHX blanks. May not be quite as fast as the RX8, but a pure joy to cast and fish with.

Ron Weber

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2014 11:48AM

Sorry, I do not have experience with that blank though i do have a 9'6" 7 wt RX8. As another possible option, Pacific Bay offers their "new" Quickline. the Quickline 9' 4weight is listed at 1.3 oz vs the new Batson Revelation 9' 4wt at 1.6 oz. Not sure what the Batson RX8 was listed as (discontinued, right?).

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2014 04:52PM

Hope I am not showing my rear end trying to help but is this the rod you talkin about:

XF904-4 9FT 4PC 4WT 0.332Butt 4.0Tip ExtraFast 1.93oz

Date: December 07, 2014 06:38AM

1 - Bingham SHX - no 4wt
2 - Quickline - maybe, but I would for sure like to hear about some hands-on experience (thanks for trying to help nevertheless)
3 - yes, that's the blank

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 06:51AM

Bingham SHX has a 9' 4wt and a 7' 6" 4wt. They are not listed on her website. Both are 4pc blanks.

Date: December 07, 2014 09:44AM

What is the the Bingham 9' 4wt blank like when compared with the RX8?

Posted by: Dave Gallenberger (---.npg.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 07, 2014 10:25AM

I've built 5 or 6 rods on the Quickline blanks this year. From the 9 foot 5 weight to the 11 foot 8 weight. In my opinion, they are the best bang for the buck. Very similar to the Sage One as far as action, speed, and weight in hand. I haven't noticed any balance issues with them at all. Even the switch rods were pretty easy to balance out perfectly with a downlocking reelseat.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.sub-70-197-9.myvzw.com)
Date: December 07, 2014 04:46PM

This doesn't directly help your RX8 question. I built a few PacBay quicklines, one is a 9' 4wt. He loves it, and his wife just ordered one. I weighed the blank when I got it and it's really 1.3 ounces. I also built one 10' 4wt for another customer that usually nymphs and he loves it. I used burl cork grips and Recoil snakes on these so no problem balancing with a light reel.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 05:48PM by Greg Foy.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: December 08, 2014 02:04AM

Thanks for all the info so far (though it is slightly off-track, given my question ;-))
How about durability of the Quickline series blanks?

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 08, 2014 02:14PM

Michal Rozycki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi!
> I recently bought, wrapped and fished a Rainshadow
> RX8 9' 4wt fly blank. Paired with a fairly heavy
> Alps reel seat, lite wire snake guides and a 4.5
> oz. reel the rod is a superb casting instrument. I
> also love its delicate tip and the ability handle
> very fine leaders. Also power in the butt is
> certainly not lacking.
> There is a "but" however. The rod (and naturally
> the blank itself) is somewhat tip-heavy. I did not
> measure its swingweight, but would guess it is
> quite high. Now the big question to those of you,
> who are familiar with this blank, is: if money
> were no object, what other blank do you guys think
> would have similar action, tip and power, but
> lower swingweight (feeling lighter in the hand
> when casting)?
>
> Were it not for the tip-heaviness I would not have
> wanted to look any further.
>
> Cheers,
> Michal

Michal Rozycki,
Please call into our office and see what we can do. We haven't had anyone state this problem before. We look forward to hearing from you!

eric
fresno, ca.
Yes the RX8 has been discounted and replaced by the New RainShadow Eternity2 blank. And don't your mean RainShadow Revelation not Batson Revelation? ;)

Date: December 10, 2014 02:00AM

Thanks Ryan. Will call

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.sub-70-211-79.myvzw.com)
Date: December 11, 2014 02:35PM

Michal,
My experience with rainshadow blanks has been completely positive and the new series should be outstanding.
Regarding PacBay Quickline durability, l built a 9 ft. 7 wt. that has been thrashed at Pyramid lake in Nevada where
constant casting with big flies, fast sink heads, high wind and freezing cold alkaline water will reveal any weakness
in a fly rod (and the fisherman). My Quickline has held up great, ferrules still fit perfect and it's a light weight powerful caster.

Date: December 12, 2014 08:22AM

Thank you all for your input. FYI I have decided to take the Orvis route and will get a Helios II tip flex blank - should be cool,

however ...
@Ryan McIntosh - I will hold on to the RX8

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 17, 2014 02:05PM

I can say this much. Try the Eternity2. You will be blown away.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster