I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stand Up Shark Rod
Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: December 04, 2014 12:00PM

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a little help with a shark rod I want to build for myself. I have recently started drifting for thresher and mako from my small boat off Rockaway Beach in NY. I have had a lot of fun and boated a few thresher in the 250-350 lb range. I had been using a rod I built on a slow action heavy power ATX wireline trolling rod with a Pann 6/0 reel spooled with 80 lb mono.

I am also entering the Star Island Shark Tournament...which is a pretty big contest.

Now I want to get a little more serious and build a stand-up rod for use with a fighting belt and shoulder harness. Maybe 5'6"....short rear grip....long fore grip....first guide a roller wiith a roller tip with turbo boat guides in between...??? Sound right?

Can you recommend a blank? I have been looking at Seeker Stand Up Tuna Blanks but there are so many. How do you size a roller guide? Which grips? I can't seem to find suitable EVA grips....they should be slick....?

My boat and tournament rules do not allow for fighting a fish with the rod in a rod holder.

I have a Penn Squall SQL50VSW reel already for this rod....that is the cheaper/graphite version of the International. I will use 80 or 100 lb mono as I have no experience with braid and the knots and methods of using mono and braid together.

All help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

Here's a pic of our last trip so you can see how I expect to use the rod.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 12:08PM by Joe Willsen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stand Up Shark Rod
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2014 12:55PM

I would go with a Lamiglas RT-80 and all roller guides with an Aftco short straight butt.

Posted by: Jim Levy (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2014 04:02PM

I have several of the following in service with great feedback on them: Seeker CTSF55XH Tuna Rod Blank. I built a pair of these specifically for sharking for a gentleman that fishes in your area from a 25 foot Parker. He loves the rod and now has 3 of them. They are built straight-thru with aftco rollers. Another customer a little farther south uses the same blank shortened a bit to make a 6 foot rod with a unibutt and Aftco rollers. I don't think you can go wrong with these blanks.

Date: December 04, 2014 04:30PM

Hey Thanks Guys.....Jim.....I like that blank and it is one I was looking at. Did you use any rollers? Could you give me a little direction as to the size of a roller for the butt guide?.

Posted by: thad peach (129.41.205.---)
Date: December 05, 2014 09:55AM

Here is my 2 cents,

I like the recommendation of the Seeker rod for a short stand up rod. For your application this will be perfect in my opinion. If you have the harness use it to set up the reelseat location. I would opt for a bucket style harness but that is just me! Also I use many of the Super Seekers for giant yellowfin tuna. In which I have caught MANY, MANY, MANY, sharks on them as a nuisance in the 150# or larger models. Hammer down and try to break them off as that is not what I am trying to catch. Funny how a circle hook and straight mono/fluorocarbon will not cut off when you want it to and have to crank them to the boat anyway. On the Spectra or Braid I would use the hollow and insert the mono and serve instead of tying knots to make that connection. I would also stay away from the rollers if using braid as they are just not needed for your application. I have seen rollers cause problems with spectra jumping the roller especially the tip top roller. Aftco has made changes to the Roller to eliminate it but I still have seen it jump with even the new ones. I think that the problem is the spectra is so limp that it has the possibility of jumping. All of my Super Seeker Tuna are in the 6.5 to 7 foot and are stand up rail rods are with titanium turbo guides from American tackle. Just a little difference in placement of reel seats but still great rods. My favorite is the SS6463 3x built full length, they are shipped a little longer than listed. As for the grips try Hypalon they are tougher than eva. But you build the rod the way you want it with the components you like after all it will be your custom rod!

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Ed Fontes (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2014 05:18PM

Hi Joe
I have built many shark rods and have gained a lot of experience doing so. The blank I would use is a Rainshadow solid F/G rated at 80-130# and cut so that the overall length is no more that 5'6", 5'4" is even better. Use a straight or curved, your preference, Alps Unibutt or go all out and use a Winthrop Terminator Butt which changes from straight to curved, its pricey but I've sold lots of them. I'd also use Winthrop Express Guides and Top, Winthrop Guides have huge knot clearances and the rollers are recessed so the line can't jump, again more pricey but you get what you pay for. The blank is moderate fast which is perfect for what you are doing, you'll never break this blank unless you cut it with a saw and my customers in PEI have taken numerous GBFT over 1000# standing up!!
Ed
Reel Easy Custom Rods

Date: December 09, 2014 11:56AM

Thanks All.....Jim.....I went with the blank you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Date: December 09, 2014 11:56AM

Thanks All.....Jim.....I went with the blank you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster