I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod geek blanks
Posted by: pete secrest (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2014 02:57PM

Has anybody used rod geek blanks yet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod geek blanks
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2014 03:24PM

There are good posts about them take a read
[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 04, 2014 05:41PM

Hi Pete,

Yes, I am using one of the Mo Jo Mushy blanks as a blackfish/tog rod. Am very impressed with the sensitivity and handling of a big tog.

I have built on some of their other blanks for my customers and they are very happy with them.

If you like St Croix blanks you will be at home with these. They are light, feel good in your hands and reasonably priced.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2014 10:03PM

What model is that Neil?

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2014 09:48AM

Hi Andrew,

The one I built for myself is the 950 MM 72 MHF. Rodgeeks sent me some pre production blanks for my assessment regarding salt water use in my area, Long Island, NY.

Mind you I have never attempted Musky fishing or used that type of blank/rod. So this was all new to me. My first assessment was that anglers like me would want more flex it the tip. This is a stiff blank to the tip. Rodgeeks is re evaluating the flex of the tip for our use. This series is light weight and strong.

Then I built this model in able to muscle big tog, get them out of the wreck. Well, it did everything I wanted. Caught some nice tog, average size 3-5 lb. The sensitivity was there. Then I hooked one that instantly let me know who was in command, the tog. I could sense the power of this tog. Now to get this tog coming up. The tip was perfect as it held it's ground and lifted the tog upward. Good thing I was using 50# braid and a Newell 332 as I needed all of this to move the fish up. Then about 8-10' up the tog stops coming up, UGH! Dead stop! So I let the fish slowly go back to the bottom. I can feel the tog swimming freely. Feels like my easy break sinker loop has broken so the sinker hanging up is not the problem. Start to slowly reel up the tog and the struggle is on again. Once again the rod does it's job and then the dead stop. UGH! I did this 6 or 7 times always with the same results. Every time the tog is able to free swim. The last time I let the fish go down I realize the fish is off. I wind up with no hangs. The shank of the hook looks like a minor s curve.

Needless to say I was very impressed how this blank performed. Have built 2 other Mo Jo Musky blanks for an angler who does 3 way swivel, 16 oz sinker, and buck tails with 6' leader for big bass and blues at the east end of Long Island. This is hard catching.

Been thinking about losing that tog for a week or so. I think my rig fell into the wreck thru a small hole and the tog could not fit thru a small hole. Who know????

Bottom line the blank/rod performed flawlessly on that powerful tog.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: December 06, 2014 02:09PM

Pete, get ahold of Vic on the MRB facebook page.. He builds on them quite a bit.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2014 04:31PM

Neil I caught Blackfish up to 8-9#'s on an SG 79H cut a bit. Surprised how well it turned out. I'm up to my 3rd prototype, gettign closer to a finished product, I'll be in touch once we get it right

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster