I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Birch Bark Grips
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.asbnva.dhcp.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 30, 2014 02:24PM

I'm in the process of doing my first set of Birch Bark grips. What is the best way to finish them? Should I use an epoxy thread finish or a wood finish like a marine grade polyurethane, or something else? They are going on an ice fishing rod.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Birch Bark Grips
Posted by: william jensen (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2014 02:44PM

I did a bunch of coats of tru oil on the grips I've have done. Turned well.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2014 03:15PM

Where do you guys get the bark? Do you dry it before forming rings or do it green? I would like to try it, but don't know a source for the bark.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2014 03:21PM

Steve,
Some folks use other methods, but I have used two coats of guide finish on the wood or bark grips with excellent results.

After the first coat, I just use 1000 grit paper on the spinning grip to clean up any minor issues. The 2nd coat takes care of the final finish.

Be safe

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-129.myvzw.com)
Date: November 30, 2014 03:33PM

Steve,

I also have used guide finish, with nice results. CA glue is too brittle for this (my opinion), but PermaGloss works out good (more than one coat needed).

The only issue I've had with using the guide finish fishing, was it was slick when handling with wool gloves. I purchased some gloves that had a silicone grip pattern, and that solved the problem.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 30, 2014 05:04PM

Tru-Oil works very good on Birch Bark, brings out the color and Character! Apply as many coats as desired to achieve amount of gloss.

Date: November 30, 2014 05:43PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about the Tru oil but will it make it water proof for the long haul? I'll do some tests on small segments I've put together.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: Joe Moriarity - Custom Fly Grips LLC (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2014 05:59PM

I always start out with a 50/50 mix of mineral oil and tung oil which will seep into the bark nicely and bring out the tigers eye quality of the grain. You can apply it with a finer grain wet sand paper than you used to finish the grip which will help fill in any imperfections. Once that has soaked in over several applications, I may switch to only tung oil or continue with the 50/50 mix depending on what I feel like doing at the time. You can finish it matte or glossy. The 50/50 mix will dry faster, but will be a much thinner layer. The tung oil does yellow the bark slightly, which I personally like for my grips; some of these other methods may leave the bark less yellowed.

As for sources of birch bark, we offer birch bark in sheets, rings (unsanded) and ready to use rings. We also have our exclusive birch bark starter kit that includes 2 sheets of birch bark and a birch bark ring cutter which should be more than enough birch bark to create one standard 7" grip:
[customflygrips.com]

You can see some of the birch bark grips that I have created with this method at our Facebook page below.

Joe Moriarity
Director Of Operations
Custom Fly Grips LLC
[www.customflygrips.com]
[www.facebook.com]
joe@customflygrips.com

Date: November 30, 2014 07:16PM

Randy,

I've got a brother that lives in northern Minnesota and he sent me a large box of sheets of birch bark for which he gets two ice fishing rods. You can also find them on the big @#$%& site. I've never used the ones from Custom Fly grips but I have ordered some of Joe's cork products and find them to be some of the best I've used. I especially like the vertical wave cork rings. The bark pictures he has on his Facebook page look very nice.

Steve Hartzell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 07:18PM by Steve Hartzell.

Date: November 30, 2014 07:22PM

Joe,

I looked at your Facebook page, are the bark grips you have there finished with the 50/50 mixture you mentioned. They've got a very shiny appearance which I like but I didn't think you could get that with oil.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: Joe Moriarity - Custom Fly Grips LLC (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2014 07:34PM

Steve, it just takes a few more coats to go from a matte finish to a shiny finish. Every birch bark grip I have made has used this method. It really seeps in well and brings out the grain in the bark.
Also, thank you for your kind words about my products. Check my other post for our Cyber Monday Sale if you need any new cork.

Joe Moriarity
Director Of Operations
Custom Fly Grips LLC
[www.customflygrips.com]
[www.facebook.com]
joe@customflygrips.com

Posted by: dave schaub (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 01, 2014 08:02AM

I use 100% tung oil and I like the look of it. It gets shiny also with several coats. Just be sure you are glued up well because these rings are made up of
many many layers which are less than paper thin. Go very slow when turning or else you will break several times like I did on my first attempt.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2014 07:35PM

Yes Tru-Oil will waterproof. It also soaks in on the first couple of coats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster