I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hydra blanks salt water applications
Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2014 10:10AM

I am looking for feedback on the hydra Ng line of popping and spin jig blanks in regards to application for sea trout, redfish and snook.
Price aside, how doe these blanks compare to St Croix, MHX and NFC for such salt water applications?

I'd rather be catching!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hydra blanks salt water applications
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 04:02PM

They perform just like the others.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 08:28PM

Eddie Anderson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking for feedback on the hydra Ng line of
> popping and spin jig blanks in regards to
> application for sea trout, redfish and snook.
> Price aside, how doe these blanks compare to St
> Croix, MHX and NFC for such salt water
> applications?

Mr. Anderson -

I think you will find they perform very well and can't be compared to the others as they are different. While our mainstay is private label, we have quite a few custom builders that use our blanks. Here's one review hosted on our site: [hydrafishing.com]. I'd link towards other, non-pro staff postings (be sure you clarify pro staff and non pro staff), but they are on other websites and we honor the not redirecting to other sites forum rule. Try an internet search on ALX Rods ZOLO series - the NG blanks are used on this production rod. Might give some additional feedback for you.

Hopefully some other builders will chime in. I believe you'll find the NG series to be very light (maybe even lighter than other higher priced models), ample power for the rating (they are not under rated to achieve a perceived physical weight/power ratio), and they have very crisp actions thanks to the scrimless design. To top it off they are US made.

Mr. Phipps -

I did a quick check in our database and don't show any blank purchases in our database. I'm assuming you built Hydra blanks that you purchased through a dealer. Just wondering which models you've used to make the decision they are "just like the others".

We'd like to think not all rod blanks perform the same and hopefully ours are just a little different. :)

Alex Dziengielewski
President, Hydra Fishing, LLC

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 09, 2014 02:22AM

Mr. Anderson,
I guess my comment was taken the wrong way, I wasn't commenting on your products, no more than I could convey the differences in the companies he listed. I was trying to say that he shouldn't think that one of your spin bass blanks couldn't be made into a fine saltwater rod. The popping rod blank series to me was kind of a given.
My first experiences with a similar situation was when I was stationed in Miami on a Coast Guard 95 ft. patrol boat back in the 80s. I came with my collection of custom salmon, bass and walleye rods I'd built, and a Bayrunner 15 boat. First day out on the wrecks with my Lamiglas salmon jigging rods, built on live bait blanks, fluttering salmon jigs, worked just as well as they did on the west coast. My Loomis blanked hotshot rods worked great on the flats and mangroves, as did my walleye rods built on Lamiglas XS/XC 72 and 78 ML blanks.
My limited experience with your blanks and guides was when I went to Texas to visit my son and family and he set us up with a guided trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2014 07:26PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2014 04:03AM

THe LAmi Certified Pro XC series were awesome!!!

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 24, 2014 12:11PM

How about a RainShadow??

We just released a new line in the Immortal series of Popping replacing the RX8! [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Btw, we have some pro's that finished first place using these blanks!!!

Here is a little write up from Riley Rods: "RainShadow had a great year on the redfish tours. Team Riley Rods won IFA Redfish tour 'Team of the year' and also won 1st place at the NC Redfish Shootout series championship. Riley's prostaff of Chad Dufrene/Barnie White won 1st place in the HT Series Redfish Tour Championship (THE BIGGEST REDFISH TOURNAMENT IN THE COUNTRY )
[www.facebook.com]

Good Luck!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster