I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can I remove the color finish from Batson blanks?
Posted by: Mike Ortega (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 10:11PM

I want to try a Batson Immortal or Eternity blank. I prefer my blanks to be raw graphite finish and not painted. Is it possible to sand the color off these blank models?

Thanks,
-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I remove the color finish from Batson blanks?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2014 12:07AM

Mike,
You can remove finish from any blank. Try Citri remover. It will normally work on most finishes. Then, just use fine sanding paper, used wet to finish the job.

Be safe

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: November 06, 2014 07:34AM

It will most likely remove any warranty also..

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: November 06, 2014 07:50AM

Mike,
the eternity 2 blank with that cobalt blue color has the toughest color i have yet dealt with.
Some blanks ( one high $ USA made one a few year back was very bad for this) you can wipe with a surgical wipe and their color comes off.
These new batson ones have a very tough finish.
Good automotive level finish.

I removed threadmaster light from the butt section of one with zero dulling of the finish.

You would also be wanting to call the factory to check on the warranty that could maybe be void if you started sanding it down.
They are helpful people there.

Have you held one?
I know i would not like to be sanding on a blank that light ..........

Posted by: Mike Ortega (8.28.19.---)
Date: November 06, 2014 11:05AM

Thanks for the replies. I will get some "citri remover" and see how that goes. Any suggestions on the grit of sandpaper to use? I dont want to gouge the carbon.

I have not seen or held either of these blanks. Based on the weights specified online, they dont seem very light, but hopefully they are very sensitive (feel) and have a good swing weight..??

Do you think removing the paint will change the power/action of the blanks?

Thank you,
-Mike

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: November 06, 2014 12:04PM

Why would you buy a painted blank if you wanted a raw graphite one? There are lots of blanks out there to choose from without going through all the @#$%& of removing the paint.. I just don't understand this logic at all

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: November 06, 2014 12:46PM

Mike,
Start with any grit you choose. If you are not removing any finish, go with a coarser grit. If you are removing too much go with a finer grit.

A good place to start is with 220 grit, and when finishing go down to an 800 or 1000 wet and dry, used wet.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 08:59AM by roger wilson.

Date: November 06, 2014 03:00PM

thanks for the help. I will give this a try.

-Mike

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2014 05:29PM

I would stay away from any grit coarser than 150, the chances of damaging the carbon fibers is just to great!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2014 11:22PM

Any grit under 220 you're asking for trouble.100, 150, even 180 is way too course to rub on a rod blank. On a 2X4 yes, on a rod blank no way.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2014 12:12PM

I would think that if your going to use the Citri Strip you wouldn't need anything courser than 400 then go higher. Just take your time.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-134.myvzw.com)
Date: November 09, 2014 07:14PM

Mike,

Out of curiosity, did you try emailing or calling Batson to see if you can obtain an unpainted blank?

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Mike Ortega (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2014 10:43PM

Since posting this, I have been in touch with Batson. They weren't sure if the paint remover would affect the scrim and sanding is a risk of weakening the blank unless I get it perfect on every inch of the blank. I'm not familiar with citri strip, is it a harsh chemical, like paint remover?

Date: November 11, 2014 08:32AM

Many folks have used Citri strip with no apparent side effects to strip many many rods.

Batson is made just like all of the other rods on the market, so have no reason to believe that it would affect this blank any differently.

Be safe

Date: November 11, 2014 03:06PM

Can I just use Citri strip and then wipe the paint off with a rag, or will it require scraping the paint off with some sort of paint scraper?

Do I need to use the "afterwash" also? Or can I just clean up after with alcohol?

Thank you,
-Mike

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 11, 2014 09:13PM

Only test will tell how easy it comes loose. Most paint strippers clean well with water.

Hope this helps, Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster