I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Motor on dryer getting hot
Posted by: Buddy McMikel (---.dsl.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2014 11:21PM

I've got a dryer that the motor is pretty warm to the touch. It has been on for about five hours drying. Is this normal or do I need to find a epoxie that dries faster? Its still tacky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Motor on dryer getting hot
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: November 05, 2014 12:33AM

Sounds like you might need a new motor .I had one doing the same & had to replace it .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 12:58AM

My dryer motors are hot 5mm after turning them on (very hot).

Nothing to sorry about.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-207.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2014 10:04AM

About your tacky finish....

Sounds like your finish is under mixed. Mix it longer. Use a round nonporous stirrer and mix it till it is crystal clear. Really study it to make sure there are no more streaks in it and that all of the two parts are combined completely. There is a big difference in finish mixed 99% and finish mixed 100%.

Also, if you are using Flex Coat, we do not recommend mixing up less than 3 cc's of each part. The epoxy mixes better in larger batches and even looks better when cured. If you ever pick up a St. Croix, Loomis, or Sage rod in a store and notice how good their finish looks, its like a coat of glass on the rod, its because they are pros and they mix up large batches of Flex Coat finish. Hey, you are gonna wast some finish. When you paint your house some paint goes down the drain, right? Well, to achieve the best looking finish, which we all want you must mix thoroughly and mix more than a 6cc mixture.

Click the link below to see our video on mixing Flex Coat

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 10:34AM

Buddy,
There are several different types of motors that are used for slow speed drying.

1. Perhaps the most common AC motor is the timing motor. Essentially ,this is the same motor that is used in clocks, timers, grills, and microwaves. This type of very low power motor which generally works very well does not get hot at all.

2. Another very common type of motor that is used for drying, primarily because of its low price is the shaded pole AC motor. If you have one of the larger motors with a single large turn of copper wire or a copper band on one side of the motor, this is a shaded pole motor.
Although this motor is used for drying because of its low price, it is actually an intermittent duty motor. It is supposed to be used for one minute on and 5 minutes off. If this type motor is used for continuous duty drying it will get hot enough to boil water or fry an egg. However, the motor will continue to run. If you do have this style motor, it is to your benefit to place a small cooling fan beside the motor to blow air across the motor during use to keep the temperature down.

3. Another motor that is used for drying is about the same size as the shaded pole motor but it does not have the heavy wire or copper band on one side of the armature. Rather, it will have a capacitor across the voltage supply leads which help supply the necessary starting torque for the motor. This is a very good motor for drying with good size, only a bit more expensive than the shaded pole motor and runs very cool.

The reason that the shaded pole motor runs hot is that voltage continues to circulate in the shorted heavy starting winding on the motor even when running. So, this is exactly the same way that a toaster works. i.e. a coil of wire with voltage on both ends. So in continuous use, the shaded pole motor emulates a toaster and gets nearly as hot as a toaster in continuous duty with no cooling fan on it.

----------------------
There are other motors that may be used for dryer motors as well. A motor that is being used more and more is a low voltage DC gear motor. These motors are inespensive to purchase, run on low safe DC voltage and run both quietly and without any excess heat.
One simply picks up the correct low voltage plug in DC power supply to power one of these motors.

I will give a few examples of drying motors in the following links:

This motor from Flex coat and sold by Mud hole is a common motor that uses the classic timing motor. 6 or 18 rpm, 110V ac supply and runs cool and quiet.
[www.mudhole.com]

An example of a shaded pole motor which works very well, is very strong, but if used continuously needs an external cooling fan. Some of these motors have an extended shaft on the back of the motor which is fitted with a cooling fan.
[www.aliexpress.com]

An example of a high quality low rpm Capacitor start AC motor:
[www.electronicsurplus.com]

An example of a very good 12 volt DC low rpm gear motor:
[www.amazon.com]

An example of a 12 volt DC power supply that may be used to power a 12 volt gear motor as listed above:
[www.amazon.com]

------------------------------
If you have a dryer motor that is getting hot for you, here is an example of a 110v AC Muffin fan that you can use to cool the motor:

[www.amazon.com]

There are also small 4 inch personal AC plug in fans that can be used as well.

These are nice 4 inch quiet fans with stands that work well to set along side a drying motor to keep it cool:

[www.bedbathandbeyond.com]

Good luck and may you always be cool!!

Date: November 05, 2014 10:36AM

In addition to John's comment about mixing, I was told to use the clock to help insure mixing. Sometimes we look at a mix and think that it has been mixed enough, but actually has not.

As a result, I was instructed many years ago to slowly mix parts A and B for 120 seconds or 2 minutes - by the clock.

Ever since that day so many years ago, I have always mixed by the clock for 120 seconds. As a result, I have never ever since had a tacky mix on my finish epoxy.

Be safe

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 11:12AM

Roger,

What a great reply! I always enjoy reading your very informative posts. You are always so helpful.

Thanks for taking the time.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 01:31PM

Hi Roger,

If I wanted to have a high speed motor that I could apply finish with what would you suggest? I'd like to be able to hook it up to a dimmer switch if possible?

I've been on the prowl for this kind of info for a while.

Thank you in advance if you have time!

Date: November 05, 2014 02:39PM

Adam,
The classic motor that has been used for years is the series wound standard sewing machine motor.
A series wound, brush tyhpe AC motor can be easily speed controlled using an electronic foot pedal or a dimmer switch.

Many sources for this type motor if you want one.

Another very good option is to use a low voltage DC gear motor. With the built in gears, you can get a nice speed reduction without having to resort to extra belts and pulleys.
You can use a DC speed control to vary the speed of motors of this sort.

Be safe

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 02:54PM

Adam - I think by far the most available are sewing machine motors. You should be able to find one (still attached to a sewing machine / or separate) at Goodwill, swap meets, yard sales, flea markets. And they may have a footpedal already attached.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 02:55PM by Ken Preston.

Date: November 05, 2014 03:11PM

These motors will hit high speeds? I'm looking for something faster than the 18rpm motor I use now.

Thank you guys for the responses. Very much appreciated!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 10:50PM

Adam
A sewing machine motor (uncontrolled) will sling finish off the wraps. Fast enough .... you bet and you can add pulleys to make the end speed much faster. "Standard" sewing machine motors 1/2HP @ 1720RPM - industrial 3/4HP @ 3450RPM ....... Here's one link --- there are many more [www.sewinggold.com] . There are also several for sale on E....site for under $30 motor & pedal combined...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 10:59PM by Ken Preston.

Date: November 06, 2014 12:36PM

Thank you Ken! - I'll try to make sense of what you've provided. No electrical background but know what I want.

Very helpful. Thanks again!

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 08:40PM

seeing that I don't have metal cans I just put the wipes out side to air out [ use open pan ] after it is aired out an no more smel & cured , I drop in the trash I don't put the wipes with fumes or liquid's into a closed area , it has to be open so the air can take the smell away an cure frist ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 08:40PM

seeing that I don't have metal cans I just put the wipes out side to air out [ use open pan ] after it is aired out an no more smel & cured , I drop in the trash I don't put the wipes with fumes or liquid's into a closed area , it has to be open so the air can take the smell away an cure frist ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Gregg Rene (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: November 29, 2014 11:36PM

Mine run hot to the touch. I don't worry about it because I never had one stop while drying. I did have one that also was loud, the built in gear reduction sounded as if it was missing a tooth, and it got really hot - I couldn't leave my hand on it for ore than 5 or 20 seconds.... replaced it right away. Other than that they all seem warm, or slightly hot, to the touch. Cheap Chinese motors? I found some nice ball bearing reduction motors and was going to make my own, then realized I was looking at a $120 motor.... so back to the commercial ones with cheap motors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster