I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork turning speed
Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 02, 2014 04:51PM

What is your preferred cork turning (sanding) speed?

Braith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork turning speed
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2014 06:40PM

1000 to 1500.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2014 11:46PM

-----------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2014 12:43AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: November 03, 2014 08:17AM

Paul,

I prefer to turn all my grips on a mandrel in a lathe, but I've done it both ways:

On the blank in a power wrapper:
The shaping, smoothing, and finishing speeds can vary a lot because some blanks can be turned more quickly than others. As Tom suggested already 1000-1500

On a steel mandrel mounted in a lathe:
I rough shape at 1500+/-, smooth at 2000+/- and finish with my finest grade of paper around 2500+/-

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2014 09:30AM

We should probably mention that the cork cylinder diameter has a lot to do with the speed you need. At 1500 RPM, a larger diameter cork cylinder will put a lot more feet per second past your sandpaper than a smaller diameter cylinder at the same speed. So more speed for small diameter stock, less for larger diameter stock.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2014 02:32PM

I turn on a mandrel and usually just stick with 2500 through the whole process. The skew chisel needs to be sharp for rounding though.

Terry

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2014 03:55PM

I turn all my cork on the blank, have done so for over 40 years, and I have never even thought about what the speed is. I use a foot pedal to adjust the speed. I might go a little slower at the start with coarse grit, but when I end, I am going pretty fast with 400 grit.

Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 03, 2014 04:45PM

Thanks for your well informed advice. I am starting to get the trick. I have been using an old single speed drill with an aluminium holder at the other end of the mandrel. For the learner:
Don't use skinny, soft mild steel mandrels. They flex and wobble. I am going to use a small variable speed drill with a 10 mm high tensile threaded rod for a mandrel. I can put nuts and lock nuts on both ends to tighten the handle if necessary. This basic setup will only be suitable with sandpaper. I'm fine with that.
Thanks

Braith

Posted by: John E Powell (---.wnyric.org)
Date: November 04, 2014 07:53AM

Paul,

If you're using an electric drill, once you get past the rough shaping stage keep the speed high as drills don't turn as fast as lathes.

I would definitely recommend fabricating a support for the other end of your mandrel to minimize any movement or wobbling. You'd be surprised what a difference this can make in your finished cork. A simple stand with 3 rollers clamped in place is all you need. It's also safer this way too, less sideways stress on your drill's chuck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster