I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Presentation rod tube question
Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 05:15PM

I attended Mark Crouse's seminar on presentation rod tubes this year but I have lost my notes. Didn't he have a handout ? All I can remember is 22.5 degree cut with a router, masking tape method. Can anyone tell me the size and thickness for each piece before glue up? Or have a copy of his sheet they can e-mail me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Presentation rod tube question
Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2014 06:59AM

I can’t find it so I will try to explain correctly. Both sides of the wood are cut at 22.5?. When you put two pieces of wood together you form a 45? angle. 360? divided by 45? equals 8 pieces of wood to form a circle. Now measure your rod I assume (yes I have watched the odd couple) without reel for the width between the stripper guide and a parallel line from the widest part of your handle alone the rod to the stripper. This is the inside diameter you want from your tube. (Plus a little wiggles room).

So let’s say you measure six inches in diameter. That makes the inside radius three inches. C = (R X R) X Pi. So 3X3=9, 9 X 3.141592 = 28.2743”. Let’s say you add one inch ID for wiggle room. One inch divided by eight equals .125”. So now you have 28.3993 divided by you 8 pieces of wood equals 3.55” inside width of your wood.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.230.124.---)
Date: November 02, 2014 07:47AM

You can make the tube any size that you want, you just have to do a little bit of pre planning. I like to build a six sided case instead of an eight because the math is a little easier. If you want to make a 3 inch inside diameter you need to take into account the thickness of the wood. I like to use 1/4 inch thick boards to build the tubes, so you have two sides at 1/4" into account. 3 inch inside diameter plus 1/2" (1/4"+1/4") equals 3.5", the radius of this is 1.75". On a six sided tube the radius is the width of the boards, so you need to rip (I use a table saw) the boards with a 30 degree angle to 1.75" wide. I test on scrap lumber to make sure my table saw is set at an exact 30 degrees before I make the cut on the expensive wood. Rip 6 pieces at 1.75" wide with a 30 degree angle on both sides, use tape to hold the six pieces together, apply glue, form the six pieces into a tube shape with the tape holding the pieces together. I then like to use plastic twine or cord to wrap the tube much like a bamboo rod to pull all the gaps together and hold the wood until the glue sets. There are tons of different ways to make tubes, my favorite is to make a six sided tube as the math is easy, but you can make an eight, twelve, or more sided tube, just have to use a different math system.

Date: November 02, 2014 09:15AM

Thanks for the help guys. I thought there was a "formula" for the sizes. This makes sense.

Date: November 02, 2014 09:17AM

Has anyone used left over hardwood flooring ripped/planed down to the correct thickness?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2014 09:20AM by Hal Lambert.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.wnyric.org)
Date: November 03, 2014 01:24PM

Hal, or anyone else for that matter...

I've built a few cases over the years and have previously drawn up some plans using AutoCad for 5, 6, and 8 sided cases. If it would be helpful, I could create, and e-mail to you, an MS Excel spreadsheet based on these plans to generate 1) a dimensioned profile for each strip for 5 and 6 sided cases where all pieces are the same and 2) a cutlist for the 8 sided case taking into account the thickness of your table saw blade where you'll have 2 wider sides and 6 narrower sides (the two wider sides will be ripped in the middle after gluing to separate the case into two halves).

I could set up the spreadsheet so the user will just need to enter 1) the thickness of the wood you will be using to create the sides and 2) the desired inside opening size that you want.

I could also include detail drawings of an optional glue line profile that is both stronger and easier to glue-up than the simple straight angle cuts. However, to view any of the drawings you will need to download an AutoCAD drawing viewer from the internet if you don't have AutoCad.

If this sounds like something that you would use, send me an e-mail (it's unhidden in my profile) and I'll send you a PDF of some detailed construction drawings, a spreadsheet which will calculate the info you need to generate a cut list, and a cover letter outlining a lot of detailed information. I'll also explain the various modifications you can make to customize the shape of the standard 5, 6, and 8 sided cases.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 05:07PM by John E Powell.

Date: November 04, 2014 09:03PM

I received the spreads sheet, etc. from John and WOW! It does a great job explaining everything. I can't wait to start on a few tubes in the next few weeks. Thanks!

Posted by: John E Powell (---.wnyric.org)
Date: November 05, 2014 08:03AM

Hal,

Thank you for the kind words, I'm pleased that I could help.

J Powell

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2014 08:53AM

Update:

I managed to get the AutoCAD drawing converted over to a PDF, so you won't need a special AutoCAD file viewer to see the plans.

What I am sending out now:

MS Excel spreadsheet to calculate polygon outside edge width based on user entering stock thickness and desired minimum inside size
MS Word document to explain how the spreadsheet works, how to use the plans, and ideas for how plans can be modified to achieve custom elongated polygons
PDF file of plan details for 5, 6, and 8 sided cases and details for optional improved joint profile and possible locations for improved joints in each case

If you would like to receive the files, send me an e-mail. My address can be found by clicking my name in the post, it's not hidden.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster