I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what type of license is needed to sell rods through a marina
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 03:09PM

What type of license is needed to sell rods from the workshop in your home or allow a marina to sell them for you? I have no employees nor do I plan to incorporate. I live in Massachusetts and I assume each state has their own laws regarding the sale of products such as fishing rods. Thanks for any help.
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what type of license is needed to sell rods through a marina
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 03:42PM

First thing you need to do is check your state and county's sale tax regulations on starting a business.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 04:54PM

You may have to obtain a Business and Occupation license and you may be required to pay Federal Excise tax.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2014 11:50PM

Sanford,
Check with your local area for any particular regulations or anything else that might be required for you.

Good luck

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2014 02:42PM

All states will have specific requirements for you to sell merchandise. As already mentioned, you should check the websites for the Department of State for your state to see what they are. The simplest way to start is to set up a business where you are the sole proprietor.

In Oregon, here are the basic steps:
Obtain a business registration for the state
Obtain a federal tax ID
Your county or city may also have business license requirements.
If your state has a sales tax, you may also require a state tax ID in addition to or instead of a state business license.

Keep good records for purchases of components and materials, as well as your sales.
It's a very good idea to keep a separate bank account for your business from your personal banking.
You will need to file and pay Federal Excise Tax Quarterly.
You may need to make estimated income tax payments quarterly depending on your revenue.

There are lots of other smaller details but this is the basic list to be "legal".

Terry

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 03, 2014 10:24PM

Terry has some very good advise.

One thing is to either review the tax code to see what is and isn't tax deductible. If you aren't comfortable with that then you need to speak with a tax professional. Keep very good records and pay you taxes.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 04:50PM

Unless I've been given some bad info for a number of years, one thing that is true regardless of your state is that you will have to file for the FEDERAL excise tax and pay it on every rod you sell. As above, filing is quarterly.

Date: November 05, 2014 05:04PM

Thanks for the help. I am in the process of registering with the state and also getting an EIN.

Date: November 05, 2014 05:04PM

Thanks for the help. I am in the process of registering with the state and also getting an EIN.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster