I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lami GBT841M for blackfish?
Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 01:15PM

I looked around in my basement and happened to find a lami gbt841m that I never built. I must have bought this a while back because no one seems to sell them anymore. Anyway it's all graphite and I'm a little nervous about wrapping it for tog. I need it to hold 16oz in a pinch. Looks like a really strong blank... Any thoughts appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lami GBT841M for blackfish?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 02:29PM

If my recollection is right your blank was discontinued 8-10 years ago, and the blank and it's replacement were heavier powered than the CGBT 84 M is now. It was closer to the MH blank of today. I have never tried 16oz., but I've used 12 oz. with no problem, with tip left over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 02:35PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 04:36PM

It will handle 16oz. just fine if you are jigging with it. The blank is rated for 20-40# test line. In the 1987 blank catalog no lure wt. is listed.

Date: November 01, 2014 05:39PM

Thanks guys! How do you think it will tolerate high sticking. I mean we swing anything under 7 pounds. Think it will blow up?

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 06:29PM

Hi,

The first Lami Tri Flex blank was the CGBT 84 1M and I believe rated at 30# class. A much higher class blank, 50# was in it's wheel house. They stopped building them. Builders called Lami and asked why as it was a great meat stick with a very sensitive tip. So they started building them again. Then Lami came out with a new CGBT 841M 30# class which was lighter and a more moderate flex. They pushed the OLD CGBT 841M up to the CGBT 841MH at 40# class. For my money the original M ran circles around the new M. But customers preferred the new M. So be it. The new M can easily handle 16 oz sinkers. The one they call MH can handle way more lead. I fished mine for cod on the Andrea Doria with 20+ sinker weights in 325' water. I still prefer the original model. Anglers down South used the original M for Goliath Grouper.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 06:46PM

Neil's talkign about the CGBT. I just built a GBT841M for someone to wire line Bass. The problem with this blank was that when braided line came out they were breakign all over the place. These were popular when I started building, but once Lami came out with teh CGBT's teh 100% graphite version fell by the wayside. It ws a very popular blan, but you have to be careful high sticking or fishign braid with it.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2014 07:28PM

The GBT 841M and the GBT 841H were 2 different Blanks. The H was rated for 30-80 # test line. The GBT was not made in an MH designation. I believe some of you are talking about a later blank designation than what Mike has.

Date: November 01, 2014 09:13PM

Ok I'm scared !

Date: November 01, 2014 10:22PM

Hi Billy,

You are correct about the GBT 84 1M breaking. I listened to one breaking with 40# mono on the reel. The angler was hung up in the wreck. He did not ask for help and I heard the rifle shot. Unfortunately I had given the rod to my mate to test and he let the customer use it.

My bad. I just reread Mike's original post and yes he mentioned a GBT 84 1m. Sorry for that.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: November 05, 2014 07:59PM

ok so i found another lamiglas blank it's the GTF901MH does anyone think this would stand up any better?

Date: November 05, 2014 10:01PM

YOu're really determined to build a graphite rod huh? lol. I have n oidea about that blank.

Date: November 05, 2014 10:01PM

YOu're really determined to build a graphite rod huh? lol. I have n oidea about that blank.

Date: November 06, 2014 06:21AM

Well not really. I read in the old posts that this blank was designed specifically for blackfish. It is also rated 6-16 oz lure which is a high rating.

Date: November 06, 2014 07:10AM

Hi Mike,

Yes, if I was you I would build on that blank, go toggin' and have fun catching big tog, blues and stripers. The one of mine that broke in a customers hands was pure overload, a 225# approx. 30 year old at 6' plus stuck in a wreck and high sticking determined to pull the wreck off the bottom. The reel had 40# mono installed.

Build it and enjoy it.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster