I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

useful information
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 10:32PM

Currently blank makers use several different systems to describe the graphite in their rods: IM10, ScIV, 30 ton, etc. I have no idea what, if anything, these ratings reveal about the actual physical properties or potential performance of a blank. Could someone help me understand what useful information is revealed by any of these systems?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: useful information
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 09, 2014 12:34AM

Here's a piece from Gary Loomis that may help explain some of what your looking for.

[www.kistlerrods.com]

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 09, 2014 12:42AM

This is a pretty good explanation: [www.dwfonline.com]

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2014 07:31AM

Hi,

Good articles. Graphite rod buyers should be made to read Gary Loomis's article a couple of times before buying a graphite rod.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2014 09:19AM

Even builders I got it on my favorites

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: October 09, 2014 10:03AM

That article from Gary is great. It is really nothing I didn't know just a great way of explaining it. That article will become a sales tool for me in the shop. Especially the part about a rod for everyone. I don't always think that way pointing people toward what I would use instead of what the guy can "handle".

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 09, 2014 12:05PM

The articles were informative, but I'm still in the dark about what the modulus and strain rate are for "30 ton" graphite , "IM 10" graphite, and "SCIV" graphite or how they compare to one another. These descriptions are presented as objective measurements by marketers?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2014 12:11PM

The actual product name for the various carbon fibers are not necessarily what the rod companies cook up for their own catalogs. In other words, SCIV graphite may be a 33 ton fiber from Hercules, or something or somebody else. The rod companies aren't generally fond of telling you exactly what product they're using, of course, as they really don't want you to be able to make across the board comparisons to other rod companies.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2014 01:47PM

This why I'm really digging into the CCS System and starting to collect data and label rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster