I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Coating to harden Cork
Posted by: Chuck Northington (---.interserver.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 12:49PM

OK so my thinking is that I want to toughen and harden the surface of my cork grips. I know I could carbon skin them but don't want to do that. Instead I am looking for a liquid or paint that would coat and form a hard clear surface. CorkSeal from U40 is not really what I want. I want a clear, hard topcoat that will make the cork hard to nick or dent. Make sense?

My first thought was permagloss but I have neard stories of it being hard to brush on large surfaces and I have no way to spray it. Is this true and are there any other better options? Thought about regular thread epoxy too but ruled it out because of the weight and tendency to get scratched and yellow easily. Thx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coating to harden Cork
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 08, 2014 01:57PM

Whatever you decide upon please note its going to be a very much surface coat only.
No penetration with cork.
Anything that makes it harder, well why you using cork and not say carbon over foam or cored wood or?
Lots of harnesses of wood. Must be one that would suit, bore and core and weight will be similar enough that its not a biggie for many applications.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: October 08, 2014 02:03PM

Chuck i had a customer that wanted, I mean ordered me, to paint on 3-4 coats Polyurethane on his grips. I gave him the whole "I'm not responsible for the repairs etc.." conversation and started painting. LOL they turned out great!!! they retained the cork color and he claimed they were not slick at all. That was back in the late 90's and I have never heard any negative feedback. I simply put the rod in the dryer and applied the poly to the grip while the rod was turning. I applies the next coat after about 2-3 hours.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 02:30PM

I have used the epoxy for coating carbon fiber handles over the cork ends and inlays that I put in those carbon grips. They fill gaps and gives a perfectly smooth finish. I know of another builder who sometimes uses polyurethane (5-6 coats) over his cork grips for a similar look.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: October 08, 2014 02:53PM

Super glue. I do it for wood reel seats all the time. get the thinnest stuff you can find and do multiple coats. it will soak in to a point and then just build layers from there. my local True Value hardware carries a 10 pack of original super glue. for an average fly grip it takes about 3 of the little tubes. with enough coats you can even buff it to a gloss. the middle one in the picture is cottonwood soaked with super glue.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-139.myvzw.com)
Date: October 08, 2014 04:40PM

Chuck,

I use PG to coat all of my grips, regular cork or burl. I apply it with a coffee filter, or other lint free paper. I put gloves on, saturate the filter, and apply. I put it on before I epoxy the grip to the rod. I really like the way the grips turn out.

Chris

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 05:11PM

I have thinned thread finish and put on at a faster speed a heavy coat
sanded then put more Three usually works well

Any holes you will have to put the heavy coat on Then go back after that has set up and fill
Unless you fill them before and then coat Depending on grade of cork used
It will give the cork a golden color I like the color ??

This works well
[www.klasskote.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2014 05:13PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 05:31PM

4-5 coats of Brichwood-Casey Tru-oil, it is a gunstock and furniture top coat finish. I use it on all my personal rods and for many customers, touch up once every 4-5 years.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 05:37PM

Ray is right on I foegot about that

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 07:29PM

I have had luck with Polly or marine varnish. I have used both. It is going to give the handle an antiqued look though.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 07:58PM

Perma Gloss is just the ticket for what you want to do.

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 09, 2014 08:25AM

TruOil gets harder with more coats and sanding. I also use General Finishes' Outdoor Oil which was formulated for outdoor furniture.

The Outdoor Oil hardens but feels less plasticy.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2014 01:38PM

Do any of these finishes add significantly to the grip diameter? Say, to the point that you compensate by sanding down a little extra prior?

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-131.myvzw.com)
Date: October 09, 2014 01:56PM

Mike,

PG adds nothing to the diameter of the grip. But I only wipe on 1-2 layers.

Chris

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2014 04:18PM

I'm guessing that a regular sheet of typing/computer printer paper is about 1 mil thick (or thereabouts) It would take many, many, many coats of PG to equal 1 mil thickness.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 11, 2014 11:43AM

I don't sand between coats of Tru-Oil but just hit it with 0000 steel wool. Maybe my tactile senses have declined with age, but I don't really notice the increase in hardness due to the coats of Tru-Oil, as in normal fishing circumstances , very little of my hand comes in contact with the cork and even then, it's usually the soft pad area of the palm of my hand..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster