I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help on composite ice rods
Posted by: Jared Wetovick (---.omah.qwest.net)
Date: October 05, 2014 09:50PM

Hello. Newbie in building ice rods. What are the main differences in a solid composite blank and a solid carbon? The composite are much cheaper so wondering if there are really that big of differences? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help on composite ice rods
Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: October 05, 2014 10:01PM

On average, the Composites are far more flexible and in my humble opinion, more durable. Ice fishing exposes the equipment to the extreme elements and abuse by the very nature of the sport. I like using the microlight blanks from Janns Netcraft as my primary pan fishing blanks.

Date: October 05, 2014 10:09PM

Thanks Randy. The blanks from janns are the one i found too. The 31in composite walleye blank for like 4.69 is what caught my eye. At that price i can build a few and even use for dead sticking possibly?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2014 11:45PM

Jared,
Almost without exception, I use the composite or fiberglass rods; rather than carbon rods.

Although sensitive, the carbon rods are physically smaller in size and their delicate tips make breakage much more likely.
Also, if the rod is severely stressed, it is far more likely that a carbon rod will break compared to a composite rods. As a result - long term happy folks with composite rods and no breakage. Also, in the shorter length of ice rods, one can get a nice soft tip that works well as a live bait rod with a tip that will signal the bite by its movement.

Be safe

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 06, 2014 07:49AM

Hi Jared,

Please consider HOW you are going to fish the blank when choosing the blank. Solid fiberglass has a softer tip but a moderate to slow action. You can see the bite very well by watching the tip top but the hook set has to be exaggerated. Very hard to break a fiberglass ice rod but I have had them broken. Solid graphite much faster hook set and continued tension on the fish. Bite detection is through line watching. Are the carbon more susceptible to breakage? Yes but with today’s hard ice rod cases that are out there breakage during transport is not a problem.

Last year Mud Hole came out with an extensive line of ice rod blanks in both solid fiberglass, solid carbon, and some tubular models also. I built multiple rods on all of their blanks. I gave those rods to tourney anglers, full-time ice fishing guides and hard core meat hunters. I received very detailed feedback on what blank works well for what type of lure and what species of fish etc. The ice fishing team that I sponsored with rods qualified and participated in a national tournament. This is not being posted as bragging but to show that a lot of time and effort went into tabulating specific ice rod blank information that can be used to match an ice angler’s wants in an ice rod that he/she orders from me.

What is just as important as knowing what lure and species of fish the rod is going to be fished for is knowing HOW the angler is going to fish it. Will bite detection be through watching the tip top? Feel the bite through the blank? Watching the line? Or use of a spring bobber (hate them)? Just as important how does the angler set the hook? Quick flick of the wrist then it has to be a stiffer carbon blank. “High hook set” over the head and then reel down to the hole keeping tension on? Then a fiberglass blank would be a better choice. When using 1 or 2 pound test line hook set has to be considered.

Of the 25 ice rods that were tested last winter one of them broke. It was fiberglass and it was run over by an ATV. I sold about 100 custom ice rods last year and that was the only one I heard of that broke. Randy made a great point in his post that ice fishing exposes equipment to extremes. You bet it does. Durability should be a consideration in choosing a blank but not the only consideration.

My suggestion would be decide what lure is to be used and what species you are going for. Then determine bite detection and style of hook set and the choice of blanks will, in effect, fill in the blank. Ice rod blanks are inexpensive. If you have questions of blank A vs blank B and you have no experience with either buy them both.

I couldn’t really tell what species you were going for but if you have some specifics email me (your email is hidden) and I will be happy to help you select some blanks through the use of the information I got last winter. There are a number of nice Mud Hole ice blanks out there and I am sure several of them will be perfect for what you are looking for.

Good luck, ice is right around the corner,
Buzz

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (192.193.216.---)
Date: October 07, 2014 11:50AM

Agree completely with Buzz - durability is a concern, but more importantly do you want to feel the bite or see the bite. Just like an open water rod, species and lure specifics are key.

Date: October 07, 2014 08:18PM

Thanks guys. I agree on depending on what a guy is targeting and lure weight etc. kind of looking for just some all around decent rod and even more for bobber rods rigged up for crappie, perch, bass etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster