I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mahi rod for disabled angler?
Posted by: Billy Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 04, 2014 07:22PM

Disabled angler is me! I use a wheelchair and wish to make a rod for my dream trip to Fl and I plan to try to catch Mahi mahi on it. I'm a bit weaker than a average person so forget a 40 pound rod. I just want to catch a smaller Mahi on a rod that I made. I'm looking at the St. Croix SCV inshore 7 foot rod in the medium heavy that can cast up to 1 1/4 ounces. Or should I get the St. Croix SCV 7 foot heavy casting blank that is currently on sale at a vendor and is rated up to 1 1/2 ounces? It is a freshwater rod and weighs less than the inshore rod blank even though its action is rated heavier. Does that mean the Inshore blank has more "muscle" in the butt? This is going to be a spinning rod. Reel is a Shimano 6000PG. Should I look for a longer rod to get over the railing bette from a wheelchair? I want to build the rod,cast,hook and reel in the fish not just reel in a fish. I'm 53 and I've been on several trips to the Indian River and I've caught about a dozen reds on a fly rod I made and want to do that same thing with Mahi if I can.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mahi rod for disabled angler?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2014 07:34PM

Billy, I am sorry that you are wheel chair bound. I believe that since you will not be able to lean over the gunnel or transom, that an 8' blank might work better for you, as well as having a decent fighting belt with a gimbal bar in it and a light wt. gimbal on the rod.

Re: Mahi rod for disabled angler?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 04, 2014 10:47PM

Billy, dolphin come in all sizes. Get a live bait within sight and they inhale it. They aren't at all picky. They are game fighters but average fish are (sadly well) under 30 pounds and well within the ability of the inshore St. Croix you have picked.

It might be a problem for you to "see" the fish in order to cast to it. I wouldn't let that hold me back or force me into a different rod. Even experiened anglers have the mate make the cast and set the hook. There is no shame in that for anyone. In fact many captains may insist on it. The other option is blind trolling, and conventional (or baitrunner) tackle is much better suited.

If you have not had the pleasure I strongly encourage you to try for a sailfish. 15-20# class spinning gear will work for both. Only problem is you will stand a better chance with the sails in January (in rough seas) and the dolphin in June. Still, either can be caught almost year round down here. Live goggle eyes improve your chances on sails. Fishing under a kite helps too. Late fall might put you in a time where dolphin, sail, kingfish, and wahoo are all in play. The wahoo and kingfish don't jump but all are a blast on 15-20# spinning gear if big enough. Blackfin tuna too for that matter.

Now that I give it more thought this is the time of year to come. A little early for the sails but the kingfish and wahoo should be turning on. Practice the knots and know what your blank/knots can stand for maximum pressure. Set your drag with a scale at home and mark it on your spool so you can repeat it. All of these fish can be had on 20# class but all are capable of 300+ yard runs and spooling you in a new york second. Be sure to bring a a back up spool or three:) Be advised many boats don't allow braid. Figure on needing 250-300 yards of 15-20# mono as a minimum. I tie bimini twist on main line, surgeons knot to shock leader of at least twice breaking strenght and long enough to have a couple of wraps on spool when fish is at gaff, then regular leader. This suggests big enough guides to cast all of this. Size ten single foot is fine, size eight could do, and I typically use alconites.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster