I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod grip shape
Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 10:12AM

Is there any logic to the shape of fly rod grips or is it just tradition. Seems like 5 wt and less usually have a cigar shape, but 6 wt and above use a full wells. If you are suppose to use what feels best, why doesn't the same shape feel "best" on all weight rods? Is there a shape that is best for accuracy, fatigue, distance, etc., and if so is there a logical explanation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod grip shape
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 10:22AM

John,
The nice thing about building custom fishing rods, is that you have the opportunity to talk over the build with your client (or yourself if building for your self) and decide on the handle shape that you like.

Sure, there are certain conventions that have been adopted over the years, but you do not have to use anything that looks remotely like any other grip, if you don't wish to.

Try a few different shapes and see what works best for you and your or your client needs.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 10:31AM

The shapes have evolved over time. The difference between the two you mention has to do with leverage. With the Full Wells usually one places their thumb against the forward swell allowing more pressure during the forward cast. This is more important on heavier rods, making longer casts.

However as stated above, personal choice should be the deciding factor.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 11:12AM

The market for small grips is driven by people with small hands and the price of cork. Comfort should determine grip choice, and the angler can easily select the most comfortable grip by simply closing his or her hand around a variety of grips, regardless of the rod they are on.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.8.---)
Date: October 03, 2014 12:51PM

Look back a bit through history, don't have to go far, today's convention hasn't been around long.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 01:42PM

There are as many different fly rod grips as there are rod companies. The Ritz, the cigar, the full wells, the half wells, the reverse half wells, the Wes Jordan which had an indent for the thumb, the straight grip, etc. It is all a matter of preference.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 07:14PM

For years I have built the full wells with a pretty pronounced "swelling" at the ends.

But lately I have gone over to the "Ritz" grip for my personal rods. Customers still want the full wells because they are used to the look - I guess.

[www.google.com]
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2014 07:25PM

The Ritz grip is so simple, and perhaps not entirely attractive, that many rod builders overlook it. The key to how well it works is the ability to change the feel and ergonomics by simply moving your casting up or back an inch or so. It's an outstanding grip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 08:43PM

One example of a "Ritz Grip"

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 08:56PM

I had never heard of of a "Ritz" style grip before today. However, it just so happened that I accidently made one and liked its feel and simplicity in both its lines and construction. Having never seen one before, I was second guessing myself and asked the above question to justify changing it to something more traditional. Now, having discovered that my design is nothing new, has a name and is already accepted, I think I will put it on the 9'-6", 6 wt that I'm building for myself. Thanks for the input.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 04, 2014 02:57AM

The Ritz grip is the better choice for me on rod #6 and heavier.
Simple, clean and very ergonomic.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2014 12:51PM

The Ritz grip is seldom if ever seen on a factory rod nowdays, but people who see it on a custom rod like the look and feel of this old style grip. I have made many fly rods with this style grip over the years, and the people who had me make one for their rod love it.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-146.myvzw.com)
Date: October 04, 2014 10:46PM

Another one that seems to have fallen out of fashion is the fenwick grip. It is very comfortable and also gives hand position change. Kind of a cross between a ritz and full wells.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster